[Classes] Python intro course with AWS

I was thinking of teaching a series class for an intro to Python programming, and writing applications using Amazon Web Services (AWS) to host your app. Mostly focusing on how to leverage AWS features since it’s a ‘hot’ skill on the market right now. Before submitting the course, I thought I’d post in here and see if there would be any interest in something like this.

6 Likes

me…me…me
Please put this on a weekend.

2 Likes

Yes 100%teach this class. Hopefully on an evening or weekend so I can attend!

1 Like

I’d definitely attend this class

@srini @daespinozah @jrcarr2 Okay. I submitted the classes for April 7th and April 14th at 11am. You should be able to sign up within 48hrs.

4 Likes

Sounds great, thanks!

Is there any background skill/foundation in programming required?

It’d be nice to have a small amount of knowledge. But this is meant to be an intro class, so you do not need to have any knowledge of programming - just willingness to learn.

I’m planning on continuing this course with a ‘masterclass’ pathway for Python, AWS, and DevOps. That class series will either need this as a prerequisite or some programming knowledge.

2 Likes

Thanks! Do we need to bring anything? i.e. laptops? PC or Mac? etc

Awesome! I’ve been having a hard time myself Python, so I appreciate it!

1 Like

I put a “What to bring” in the course. When it gets approved you’ll see it when you go to register. Just a laptop, with a few things installed. I’m a Mac person, but PC will be fine.

1 Like

Thanks! :blankspace:

@Collin_Pike If you want to integrate your course with GitHub Classroom, I’d be willing to help set that up. I recently used it for a Ruby course I taught, so we not only learned Ruby, but also Git, GitHub, and the students had a project on their repo to show off afterward.

5 Likes

Can we have separations of concerns…too many things in the same class would be overwhelming

@aaron I was planning on setting up a Github Classroom for the course. Great tool for stuff like this. Very good suggestion

Could it be on separate dates…?

I always wanted to learn deploying the app on AWS using github, Docker…

Don’t worry. I’ll not overload you with too much information. This again, is meant to be an introduction to these topics. I’ll cover enough over the two classes to get you familiar with the different things needed so you can have fun with them and expand your knowledge on your own. But this is not meant to be a ‘deep dive’ into any of the subjects individually. You’ll be able to deploy a very simple python app on AWS after this class. We will touch on code management very lightly, which is what @aaron’s suggestion helps with.

If enough people like this, I am going to put together a DevOps course in the near future that will be a several-class series that you can take if you’d like that will get you to a much higher knowledge level. Enough for a production level app with bells and whistles like Docker.

Look forward to seeing you in the class, I’ll post the link to it once it is approved

2 Likes

count me in

Here is the link to the class. Look forward to see you all.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/5657

3 Likes