Classes and membership (new)

Hello everyone,
I am interested in knowing what classes I will need to attend to use tools in the metal shop. I cant quite find who is in charge to know when those specific classes will be offered. I planned to see which classes I would have to attend and how long those would take before signing up to be a member.
Any guidance would be appreciated.

Hot process class before anything else.
We have tig and mig classes, most other tools can be signed off during our committee meeting held once a month or if you need something specific we could do a class sooner. What are you interested in?
Randy

1 Like

Three data points for you:

(1) Our wiki lists our major tools and tells you whether training is required. Here is the link specifically for the metal shop.
(2) Like it says at the top of that listing, we have two closely related committees, Blacksmithing and Machine Shop so some of the tools that interest you might be in those other committees.
(3) All the welding classes also require Hot Process Safety as a prerequisite.

Someone with more metal shop experience should chime in here … Is Hot Process Safety also required for anything else?

1 Like

Hot Process Safety also covers the Dynatorch and the powdering coating oven.

2 Likes

I plan to be using the drill press, angle grinder, belt sander, benchtop grinder etc. for now, not looking to weld at least not for some time. I can see the benchtop grinder requires classes. When will the class be held for this particular tool or is it just in the general meeting?

The only one that needs training you suggested is the bench grinders. That is a self training using a QR code. Only reason we have that is to cut down on the aluminum grinding.

3 Likes

For the self training and other classes do I need to be a member or can I become a member after the classes are done? and how does the self training work? Do I come in any day?

You have to be a member, but the self training takes 5 minutes and can be done from your phone. Basically you scan the QR code and it pops up a mini-quiz to see if you read the signage on the machine. It spits out the padlock code for the electrical disconnect upon completion.

2 Likes