Class Scheduling Question

While this happened after signing up for the laser basics class on the 28th, this question applies for all the classes. I apologize, if I missed this information, somewhere.

I reserved a spot in the laser basics course for 3/28, but like a knucklehead, I cancelled it when I saw the confirmation screen. I cancelled it because I read my confirmation time stamp as the actual time of the class. Knowing that I would be at work at that time there would be no way I could attend, and I didn’t want to take the slot from someone that could attend. Right after I cancelled it, I saw my second mistake. haha. Seeing that the correct time was actually doable, I tried to schedule it again, but it wouldn’t allow it. It kept sending my to my cancellation confirmation. I cleared my browser history, logged out and back in, but nothing would allow me to get to the “register” button.

Less than 24 hours later, I now see that the class is marked as “full”. In the future, should I have an issue with registration, what is the process to get this sorted in a timely manner?

Thanks…

I made the exact same mistake. It turns out you can’t re-register for a class you canceled a registration for.

I don’t know what the purpose of that confirmation screen with the time stamp is… I’m not going to be making the same mistake twice but maybe we can change it to make it less confusing for new people? Of course, I could be unaware of some purpose that displayed time stamp serves…

Yes! This happened to me early into the learning-to-sign-up process, too. It freaked me out because my calendar is a mess for the most part, and I do my best to keep it straight.

Also, the format from a handheld device is so compact that it adds to the confusion. I’ve learned to only use my laptop.

When the email show up after a bit, that has the class date on it. I’ve started stashing those.

I’ll concede the mechanics of managing the training sessions (not the training itself) has been a stumbling block for me my first few months at DMS.

====

You might try contacting the class instructor and seeing if you can audit or come anyway. I had luck with that for leatherworking.

I don’t know that new Talk members get to PM, so alternately, you can tag them here.

We know new members cannot initiate PM, as this requires “Poster” trust level, which requires 15 days visiting (and some other stuff).

So the tagging would be the next best thing for using Talk. In person with the instructor is even better, if you can swing it.

I have to confess being befuddled by the confusion of whichever time stamp is in question.
Here is the screen in question, I think. Am I correct that the red highlighted field in the confusing bit?

For completion sake, this screen which pops up when you click “Cancel RSVP” seems pretty clear to me:

and here is the last screen in that sequence:

So if I’m understanding the assertion so far, you would like for the time you registered to NOT appear on the confirmation screen because it has caused you to think this was the time of the event. Is that correct?

And to be clear, I do NOT find this confusing, but I’m not sure I see significant value in its being there, either, so maybe the folks working on coding the calendar system would like to remove it. (Or maybe not; I’m not sure what drawbacks there might be to removing it, either).

2 Likes

That’s correct. The confusion is probably just a side effect of being frantic to sign up for a class as soon as possible, after which you panic when seeing a time that you didn’t intend to sign up for without stopping to really read what you’re seeing.

I didn’t think much of it when it happened to me, but if it’s happening to other people too, it might be worth looking into.

6 Likes

What she said! (Very well, I add.)