Class Request: Dog Tag Engraving

Following this thread: Shaeopoko Question

Can we please get a class together for engraving dog-tags or medical alert bracelets? That could be a cool, activity-based class that people could walk away with.

-Zeba

5 Likes

I would love to take that class. I don’t have dog tags, but a metal bracelet or something similar would be cool.

A friend of mine was mugged last week in Dallas, and had some minor injuries. It got me thinking about carrying some documentation of my own med allergies, emergency #, etc.

FYI we are presenting for the board to support the purchase of a really cool impact engraver that will do this quick and easy.

2 Likes

Would love this class as well

1 Like

After seeing the results of what the Mataza can do…I’m 100% behind CA taking this tool on! It would also alleviate the issue with using Cermark and the laser for this type of work as that stuff is CRAZY expensive and not available as a DMS consumable through the Laser cmte.

The dogtags @mreynolds made were really nicely done…solid and not dithered.

Agree. I was originally uncertain idea because of the apparent overlap with the Shapeoko, but after seeing the output I am convinced. The dog tags that Mark @mreynolds did were awesome.

1 Like

For reference here are the things @mreynolds made

4 Likes

I’m going to add a class or three to the calendar this morning. A couple for the Metaza, but also for tumblers and airbrushing.

Time to get 2017 classes rolling :smiley: :grimacing:

3 Likes

Kris (@Kriskat30) and I were discussing Metaza classes, as well. Perhaps the three of us can work on the class materials together - to make sure we are all covering the same bases. It’s a pretty easy process, as you already know; however, it would also be really easy to mess up the machine if members aren’t careful. What do you think? :slight_smile:

that definately will work better than Cermark. I will likely postpone cancel my plans for that class and look forward to the Metaza class myself.
(Please! Can we do a Tues/Thurs/or Friday class?).

1 Like

Sure thing, i’ll go ahead and add them, it will be a couple weeks away which should give us plenty of time to brainstorm.

@nicksilva I’ll make sure i add one on one of those evenings.

2 Likes

Classes added for Metaza basics at the following times. They should appear in a few days.

Thursday 9th @ 7:30pm
Saturday 11th @ 1:00pm
Sunday 12th @ 1:00pm

Hopefully this will cover most peoples schedules!

4 Likes

According to the spec sheet, the Metaza has a “printable” area of 3.1" squared (80mm) with a max material size of 100mm squared so the laser/Cermark would still be appropriate for anything larger.

1 Like

Still want to do it. Just have to pick a date that works for me

1 Like

Update on the Metaza classes/supplies -

Mark or Lisa will demonstrate the machine/software during the class at no cost. If you so choose we will have three different pendants available for a donation of $5 each for you to experiment with after you’ve taken the class. We purchased hearts, circles and rectangular pendants (plus bails so they lay right on your body) for the class to use for now - I think it best to keep it very simple as far as the offerings and individuals can easily and inexpensively order blanks for personal projects.
Possibly if interest grows we can facilitate a group buy but right now not so much.

Sound like a plan peeps? We played with the machine last night and I think it will be a fun little addition to our offerings. I think lots of people can easily knock out a present or twenty.

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to it.
For me - I want to compare the color it leaves for contrast.

1 Like

Classes hit the calendar…

2 Likes

Help me out and fill this out for me: https://goo.gl/forms/l6AhvkFQ20LmhC463

As much as I didn’t want to pre-order it looks like were going to have an influx of people and I want to be prepared.

1 Like

Cool, hope you signed up :smiley:

1 Like

Wow! Cool choices!

I will decide (soon), but by when did you need this information?

1 Like