Class on working with acrylic/plexiglas sheets?

I’d be interested too.

Very interested! Clean cuts, techniques for adhering to various materials, bending… Teach all the things!

Sign me up. I just learned what a pain it is to bond acrylic without making a mess.

Yep, looks like there is enough interest :). Likely to be mid-may before I
can get together but will let the group know when I schedule. Thanks for
all the input!

1 Like

Looking forward to it!

I’m game!! Have been wanting to make some small display shelves and tool holders.

The powder coating oven in the Metal Shop can be used for heating acrylic or polycarbonate for forming. I did a wind shield in my oven at home this way.

2 Likes

I’d be interested. I’m interested in making a large, semi-circle aquarium 2-3 ft diameter. I think because of the weight of the water some thicker acrylic would need to be used and while I’ve worked with thin acrylic, I haven’t worked with thicker acrylic.

1 Like

Is there an update on this class ?

Chuck - I once bought a used oven and used it to heat then free-vacuform a
large, oval bubble… for an inverted bee head :slight_smile:

Not yet, will let the group know when I get approval and put it up on the
calendar - likely to be mid-late May.

This was a great class! Each of us got to cut sides of a six-inch square “vitrine” on the table saw (see - I learned a new word - vitrine is the box-like enclosure that sits over a base), smooth the edges on the jointer, fit and glue our pieces together, route any overhanging edges flush with the box, and Jeff demonstrated drilling holes and flame-polishing the edges. Some of us enjoyed experimenting with the strip heater to bend some acrylic.

Good class and Jeff is a very good (and patient :slight_smile: ) instructor. Very enjoyable - don’t miss this if he offers it again.

3 Likes

Jeff is a great teacher for sure… I need to get him to show me the easiest way to polish a cut edge :slight_smile: