Class No-Shows (most un-excellent!)

I tend to teach in jewelry and fiber, I have on idea
of how to do a power point or how to use one for
my classes These are skill classes, not computer ones

Since you can set registrations to after start time you can still have folks grabbed from a hallway. I don’t see where that’s bad though. The last two shop folks that wandered into CA waiting on their tool of choice were quite excellent and seemed to enjoy it but I doubt either of them would have signed up on purpose to color.

As to the PowerPoint thing, I’d honestly just ask that teacher if they mind having their voice recorded if you feel notes are a hassle. Box instruction like that tends to force a teacher out of their comfort zone and for noobs can really derail them. For veterans it can be quite icky to be expected to put intellectual property out there like that especially if like myself those materials are sold outside the space

A suggestion from my gym.

They allow you to not show up for 3 classes each blimish lasts for 30days. After 3 misses you have to sign up by hand on the day of. This allows people to be a part of the community still but makes sure they know to be responsible with others time.

It’s not bad - as long as the person(s) actually attend. There were allegations that people just signed their names and didn’t attend the class.

That’s generous. If you were a person who didn’t get into woodshop basics for a month because the same person signed up for and didn’t attend three times … how would you feel? If you were an instructor who didn’t qualify for the honorarium three times because the same person signed up and didn’t attend … how would you feel?

1 Like

I like your suggestions for “corrective action” for no-shows. It sounds manually intensive and/or requires some work on the calendar system, but it sounds interesting. I like that it has consequences and that it’s a little less punitive than some other suggestions.

As for the PowerPoint thing … Nope. Nope. Nope. (1) Some classes just aren’t suitable for that. I think we all agree that we want the instructor to share adequate information. Dictating one mechanism isn’t suitable for all types of classes or all locations. Should there be a powerpoint presentation for the Auto Lift training? Dictating Powerpoint won’t fix the problem for instructors who present inadequate information anyway … they will just have an inadequate powerpoint. (2) Requiring Powerpoint will run off some otherwise great instructors due to the preparation time. Personal example … I can teach a hands-on embroidery class (credibly, or so I have been told) using no slides whatsoever. On the other hand, it took me over 40 hours to write a hand-out. The measly $50 honorarium, which is intended as a thank-you and not a payment, doesn’t even begin to cover the time investment to prepare this. So, should every instructor teaching a class be required to put in this kind of time investment? I think not. (3) And don’t even get me started on why an instructor should be required to prepare slides so that people don’t have to take their own notes. Seriously?

I think that as students we need to be candid with the instructors as to whether our needs were or were not met, and provide specific feedback as to what could be done to improve. I think that we as instructors need to ask our students those same questions. I would like to see (the calendar system?) provide a feedback mechanism about instructors. In my dream world I would go so far as to allow “Class Cash” as an incentive (like maybe $1 for each feedback completed) that can be used against future registrations but I know that would be a huge undertaking to code.

4 Likes

Yea I feel there needs be consequences sure, but have a time period where it rolls back over zero…shit happens in life we can’t predict. That being said though, same needs to apply to the instructor for the students. I personally have signed up for a Laser Basics class early in the a.m, drove 50 mins to get there…sat for 30 mins AFTER the class was scheduled to start just for us to get an email at that point saying it was cancelled. Major inconvenience and haven’t had a chance to retake the class yet. Also I think instructors need to put contact info on there in case students have questions or anything.

You are SO right. That’s a known problem, and there are a couple instructors who have done it more than once. Life gets in the way sometimes, but some instructors just seem to have more life getting in the way.

I used PowerPoint as an example. There are many visual aid tools available for the novice to the expert. I’ve taken classes where people have used PowerPoint, some given handouts, and others where they speak and show. In my opinion, and this may certainly be class specific, there should be some basic reference available post class. Depending upon class and skill level, I think this can be of a benefit to everyone. Even if it is simple as pictures showing start to completion.

That being said…I also think there should be some type of feedback given to the instructors on how to improve their class. Thou it can be easily done in a program, it can also be done the old fashion way with a piece of paper with questions.

I’m not a programmer BUT I bet it could be done as a coupon code the teachers hand out or is triggered by attendance. Obviously we can’t for eventbrite but I don’t see too many of those anyway

Ask @missydee1206 and @mreynolds to purchase your supplies for you. Please. This is something that shouldn’t fall on your shoulders.

1 Like

I will when needed. Not all committees have that setup though

Grrrrrl you get what you need. Committees should be bending over backwards to have you all up teaching in dms crevasse.
I don’t believe you should need/want to front your own money. Mine is all tied up in cocaine and champagne anyways. (Ps this isn’t true I would be so thin). People have credit cards girl.
Red tape of isds are long gone here. It’s sooooo easy.

4 Likes

Lmao…metals and meth. Like ya do on summer break.

1 Like

Any procurement officer can purchase for another committee, it is just billed to that committee.

1 Like

What I mean is some have expressed preference to have students pay for materials instead of committee funds

If you want them to buy and then bring - your way works.

But in Machine Shop (and others) for example, on the classes we teach, Committee buys materials and then there is a fee charge when registering for the class which is credited to the committee, effectively pays off the purchase. Or you could have fees go directly to you, but then you assume all the hassle, including refunds.

Your class, your preference, but you do have options. Just talk to the chair about buying materials.

2 Likes

I had 3 no-shows out of 8 registered users for Shapeoko basic this morning. I believe there were people who would have liked to have attended if they could; i.e. this is an example of what we’ve been discussing here.

2 Likes

Some time back I taught a one board bird house project class. I had a number of students agree to attend and I showed up with 5 boards, which I bought for the class. They were pine and were pretty cheap, but still I bought them for the students. Drove over to Home Depot put them on my credit card, etc.

Only one student showed up. Not even the three necessary for honorarium. I taught the class to the one student who did show because he seemed very interested in the class.

I prepped for the class, bought the materials, showed up to teach and I didn’t have enough for a quorum. It was very frustrating.

I wasn’t teaching just for the honorarium, but teachers shouldn’t have to deal with no shows and lose an honorarium because of the students not showing.

I’m with @uglyknees: [quote=“uglyknees, post:53, topic:23326”]
Committees should be bending over backwards to have you all up teaching in dms crevasse.
[/quote]

In any case, I think the system is much better now and hopefully will improve even more over time.

4 Likes

I still don’t understand why the teacher is being penalized. It seems like if the required number of people sign up for a class, the teacher should be paid regardless of who shows up because that is outside of their control and they have already done the work and paid for materials to prepare for the class.

1 Like