Class Interest check - Hand Plane tuning

I recently picked up a newly manufactured #4 hand plane with the idea of tuning it and using for a scrub plane and was surprised at how well it worked as a smoothing plane after some initial tuning - every bit as good as the vintage Stanley planes I’ve restored.

Plan would be to buy another - have a tuning/initializing class, engrave the plane with “DMS” and leave it in the annex for general use.

Anyone interested? Would probably repeat the class with a set of chisels for general use as well.

9 Likes

Yes for me!

1 Like

I’m 100% down if it fits my schedule. @IanLee I know you may be into this

1 Like

Definitely interested.

I’m interested, too.

I’ve got a sweetheart jack plane that I’d like to master the ‘care and feeding’ of.

Cool! Bring it and if we can’t work on it that day we can at least give it a once over for things you might want to do to it.

How does March the 22nd or 23rd at 6 or so work for everyone? That will give me time to get a plane ordered and check for basic flatness and square on the casting?

I can make either one

Either night is great with me. Will this be a class to schedule?

1 Like

22nd is better for me

1 Like

Hi, Yes - I just ordered the plane - I’ll have it later this week and will check out the casting then schedule.

Interested! I have an old Stanley block plane that I have been wanting to get working as well. Great idea.

Either works for me, when you get the day figured out I’ll make sure I’m off

1 Like

Do you happen to know anything about tuning Japanese style planes?

Never worked with any of them. Just been amazed at some of the videos I’ve seen of the competitions.

Ok. Let’s plan on the 22nd then.

1 Like

A subject near and dear to me, wish I could attend, but am soooo far away.

but I can add a little knowledge with a video I did some years back about rust removal with a deburring wheel. Normally mounted in drill press, I used the drill for ease of filming. My apoogies for the quality.

Eric in Calgary

4 Likes

Wow! That is pretty amazing. Thank you for posting the video… I really like how it takes the grunge off but leaves a polished surface with some patina intact! Sure you can’t make it down on the 22nd? :wink:

Hi All - Putting this up for the 22nd beginning at 6 PM. Should show up in roughly 48 hours. Bring your personal planes as well and we can share our collective knowledge about ways to get them tuned up.

1 Like