Class: Build a $15 Burglar/Garage Door Alarm Prototype that Tweets

I am interested in proposing a class and thought I would I would throw it out to get your comments and suggestions. Following is first thoughts on an announcement and then some background. I plan to develop a nice set of materials and apply for an honorarian.

Build a $15 Burglar/Garage Door Alarm Prototype that Tweets

This class guides attendees through steps to customize a microcontroller to detect changes in sensors to send a customized Tweet to your phone or other device. The Wemos D1 Mini is relatively new to hobbyists and features WiFi on the board. You will leave class with a Wemos, two small breadboards, LEDs, a switch to simulate an alarm sensor, a USB/micro cable and a few other parts.

Please try to install Arduino IDE,… before class or come 30 minutes early…(include links and some details).

It would also be good to sing up for thingspead and twitter if you dont have accounts. (details,…). If you do not do this, you can use my account but they will be deleted after class.

== end announcement

FAQ

Q. Does this overlap too much with the Embedded Microcontroller Class?
A. I don’t think it will. Both classes will cover the Arduino IDE and some other material but they should be complementary. This class will cover connection to WiFi, Thingspeak, and Twitter (for folks like me that never tweeted until I wanted to communicate with this chip). Due to time limitations only a few programming commands will be covered and those lightly. A script program will be provided. Given the number of subjects that must be covered, the emphasis will be simple modifications to the script instead of original programming. I am signed up for the Embedded class this week and look forward to discussing my plans with the instructor.

Q. Why two breadboards?
A. The Wemos is wider than Arduino Nano and does not work well with the norrmal form factor. It looks unusual but works great with a couple of 2/$1 ebay boards.

Q. Why the common USB cable?
A. They are cheap and I want to pass out a complete kit.

Q. Can you do it for $15?
A. The Wemos is $4 and I think the kit will come in for under $10. I would rather be little safe.

Q. Why not include a real magnetic sensor?
A. This is a prototype project and various forms of these sensors are widely available for a few dollars. I would rather hold the cost down unless you can find them for $1.

Q. Do you need any assistance?
A. The Wemos includes two eight-pin male headers that must be soldered in. Help here would be appreciated.

Q. How much experience do you have with Wemos?
A. Not much on Wemos but quite a bit with a number of Arduino formats. I do have a Wemos Tweeting along very happily. I hope to be able to work out having the processor sleep unless interrupted by a change of input. This is widely documented with two AA batteries lasting for months. I’ll not commit to it until I do it.

Q. Is there a risk for DMS?
A. No…or maybe a little. I will order enough parts for a class and not submit expenses unless the first class is successful. Given slow delivery times of foreign Ebay parts, it would be nice to order enough for two classes. It would be nice to order enough for two classes if DMS cares to back me up on this. I will suggest but not push. I would expect the folks in Electronic could use any leftovers.

Q. What is the source of power?
A. In class, the USB port. Power supply options will be discussed in class. If I get the sleep mode working soon, I will add a battery holder and two AAs. (No commitment on this one yet.)

I look forward to your comments,

Brady

3 Likes

2 immediate suggestions/comments:
well done!
y’know this forum is QUICKLY indexed to Google? (if you’re OK with your email being “out there”, that’s cool. If not, you might want to remove it).
Oh, and a final though/suggestion/comment on “book keeping”… This will, I suspect, get moved to “classrooms/interest check” category, where it might see wider audience… (or maybe not)

Final thought, which struck just as I was posting: don’t get TOO hung up in producing those “nice materials”. You do need SOMETHING, but don’t let that keep you from bringing this COOL class to fruition. I think it will see plenty of traffic!

2 Likes

I feel like a Arduino basics class needs to happen as a preemptive. Idk about everyone else but I’m interested in robotics and things like this but the current classes assume a lot of prior knowledge

2 Likes

Jast, Thanks for the suggestions! The personal email is now gone.
I’m not so concerned about making the notes beautiful as I am to have it complete. I would like for someone new to be able to toss the kit on the shelf for a couple of months, pull it out, read the notes and make useful changes. I’ll take your advice to make it happen soon.

MrsMoose, I totally agree that an Arduino basics class is appropriate. There is an Embedded Microcontroller class on the schedule. I’m not sure how basic or advanced it is. I’m fairly new at DMS and would be interested in developing a basic class if needed.

No experience is required in electronics or programming for this class. The goal is not so much to learn to write lines of code but more like editing existing code to configure it to your needs. Attendees will learn to activate and deactivate options, configure login credentials, modify the Tweet message, adjust for the type of sensor(s) being used and set limits to avoid a Tweet Storm. A note will be included that this a fun hobby project and not a serious alarm system.

3 Likes

That kit/project class is a great idea.

I have used the Wemos; it a great and capable little board especially considering the price. People seem to be migrating toward the various versions of the Pi Zero, but there is something to be said about not having to get out of the way of an operating system when trying to do something real-time.

The Embedded Workshop series has been tending toward the somewhat experienced user of microcontrollers. Mostly because the same group has been showing up every month and the need to keep them challenged.

But we do get people who are new and that is why I have made an effort to target the less experienced in the sessions I taught. The first was to take the Blink sample program and expand on it. The second was an introduction to the C programming language.

I am glad that you are doing the come early if you need help installing the IDE thing. Even though I have had plenty of prior experience with the AVR, my first time at an Arduino class was frustrating because I spent the first hour getting the toolchain working. It was a humbling episode I will never forget.

Edit: the Embedded Workshop series is currently “owned” by Rusty Cain and Jim Merkle. I am sure they will be glad to let you take one of the monthly slots; they have let me have three so far…

Jim (who introduced us to Wemos) is currently into using the Raspberry Pi. Rusty is into designing circuit boards. It is good to have a variety of interests on the teaching team.

1 Like

as a prerequisite?

I totally agree that we need a class on starting to use the Arduino. The Embedded Workshop series has generally catered to “not a beginner” so that it is not boring to repeat attendees.

1 Like

Do robot SIGs take kindly to complete noobs joining in? Lol I’m not ashamed to admit that I don’t really know the difference on ANY of them really but have a overwhelming desire to build this CNC with the parts I got.

I am not sure what you mean by “robot SIGs.” There is one founded to build an entry to compete on BattleBots; it has since been given full committee status so that it can handle money.

DPRG (Dallas Personal Robotics Group) meets at DMS; I do not know whether they include CNC machines.

There are members who build 3D printers or work on the Shapeoko or circuit board mill. Maybe they are who you should ask.