Clamping right angle weld?

Is there some clever clamping approach for holding two things together for a right angle weld? (I might actually solder, but it’s the same problem).

My material will be too thin to stand up on its own.

1 Like

Magnets, or a right angle jaw. I believe the jaws are still located under
the throatless shear by the metal shop door

1 Like

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/-prOM-qhhU0/maxresdefault.jpg

We have things that look like these, they’re in the metal shop and they are blueish.

1 Like

I should clarify that when I say right angle, I need something like two walls, not like a flat picture frame.

It will likely be 0.040" thick material.

Those arrow looking magnets should do. Tack the corners then pull them off. If the magnets get hot, they won’t magnet anymore.

2 Likes

this is a case where some creativity may be needed. you might use a small bit of double face tape (or even playdough or sticky puddy) to stick them to an angle block. Once you tack the top and bottom with solder you’re all set to do the rest. cheers!

2 Likes

I would laser cut a wooden jig to make three sides of a box, but with a section of the corner missing.

Stick your metal pieces to the outside of the box by clamping to the jig (or perhaps tape?). Solder/braze parts together. The gap in the corner should help avoid any lumpiness from the glue-up of the joint itself as well as avoiding any heat issues.

Here’s a quick mockup (minus the recommended box-joint joinery you can auto-generate with InkScape plugins or web sites like http://www.makercase.com/ and then manually add the notch).

I’d be glad to help design the jig SVG if you’re not familiar with InkScape (though I suspect you’re better at it than me :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

If steel, there are magnetic angles that can be used. Use at least three:

• One attached to table and one of the pieces. This will establish 90 degree surface (tow needed)
  • One or two, parallel to table surface and connecting eaxh of the two pieces.

This will give you" 90 deg to table and 90 deg to each other, X-Y-Z planes should now be at 90 deg to each other.

I like the idea but I’m probably going to be torch-soldering brass or bronze. I tried something similar with a wooden fixture before.

Now you know why I have a fire extinguisher in the spare bedroom …

1 Like

I like this idea too. I’m not likely to be using steel. But maybe I could use these positioning blocks on both sides of my sheet brass and the magnets would stick to the table.

What about using the HydroFLUX torch in Small Metals? Much better heat control and the metal you’re working with is quite thin…

Edit: Fixed torch name.

1 Like

Put a piece of sheet metal on the opposite side so it clamps down … I doubt anything YOU make would be too heavy.

Do you mean the Hydroflux welder? Or do we have something else?

1 Like

Oops - HydroFlux. Hydrotherm is the plasma cutter - not a good idea.
I will fix my post.

2 Likes

That’s a Hypertherm.
:smiley:

1 Like

As Jim said, we have the angle clamps under the table by the door.

1 Like

Corecting typos with a nother typo is a tryed and tru tradition on the Internnet.

4 Likes