[Claimed] HP Designjet 44” printer for free

Would the art department be interested in a free 44” plotter/color printer? It’s an HP designjet T610 but i think it needs a new power supply which is about $200. I could do the repair but I can’t fund buying the parts.

1 Like

When is the last time is was actively used, and what was the quality of the prints at that time?

You can ask her directly, but she said it worked well until one day it didn’t power on

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/517091652160811/

The main issue is how long it’s been sitting because it will clog and be essentially useless and un-fixable.

I will take the printer. I’ll try to repair it and use it to create the DMS Expansion drawings at home. It would be a great asset.

3 Likes

The rub is someone has to pick it up this weekend and then someone will have to pay for parts. I don’t have a truck. She has other people asking about it so let me know.

If I can pick it up, where are you? Should I drop it at the Maker Space or what?

I made arrangements to pick it up, and she has a smaller size of the same model we can use to swap parts.

1 Like

I have a truck and can pick it up anytime.

If she has another we can get parts from or the old ones have compatible parts with some minor modification I’d say that it’s worth going to get it. I’m out of town or would offer. @richmeyer can always take it home from the space if the SIG downvotes it on the 22nd after a closer look.

Rich and I are picking it up Tomorrow for him to fix at his place and we’ll go from there - needs work currently.

Rich claimed it for himself already.

Well, sorta. He claimed it for himself, to use for DMS purposes (i.e., Expansion).

True, I meant it was no longer avail to the sig.

1 Like

I believe he intended it ending up at the space after he fixes it, and once the DMS expansion drawings etc are done, just didn’t want to have to go to the space to work on it. You’ll have to ask Rich his intentions to be sure. Either way he was the first to respond.

1 Like

If you see him can you clarify if that’s the case? If it’s going to live at his house permanently that’s cool, but if he plans to bring it up to DMS after he’s done repairs and has it working I’d like to have some research done on that model before the SIG meets

HP Designjet T610 44" I think.

Jason Black @black3806 and Richard Meyer @richmeyer picked up two wide bed printers on Saturday.

1. HP Designjet T610, model Q6712A, up to 44 inch paper width
  2. HP Designjet T1100, model Q6683A, up to 24 inch paper width

Both printers were delivered to Richard’s workshop at his home. The plans are to get either one of them functional again, #1 is known to be nonfunctional, #2 has not been used in 1 year. Since both models are similar there is a chance that parts can be swapped between them to get at least one functional unit. Or, if parts cost is low maybe both can be functional again. As with all commercial ink jet printers that have sat unused for awhile, the entire ink system must be flushed out. This is a tedious task and can best be done at my workshop.

If any of these printers can be put back in working order then they will be donated to DMS if some committee wants them. I do not appreciate companies that donate non-working equipment to DMS, it sits around for a long time untouched and then DMS has to scrap it in the end. So basically, DMS will have a chance to accept these printers only if they are in working condition. Move them in, install the software, and start printing.

5 Likes

Duly noted thank you! I don’t disagree. Just trying to make the meeting productive since we are going to be discussing the new plan of action to get large format back to the space. The printer in offsite storage is listed as an Epson. Are any of those parts going to be helpful to your repair efforts? If not I suspect the vote will lean towards disposal

I doubt if any of the parts are interchangeable between Epson and HP brands. Any paper supplies would of course be usable.

2 Likes