Christmas ornament series

Beth s post about the Christmas tree earrings reminded me to post thes

Would there be any interest in a series of classes during the later fall
for making tree ornaments? Each class would be a stand alone, but suing different
techniques skills. I believe fired arts does one already

Some possibilities

clay
glass crystals
plastic crystals (even young children could do this)
fabric
Styrofoam with beads and sequins
tassels
polyclay
and others

It would depend on what folks want to teach

1 Like

I have one I was planning on offering closer to holidays that is a colored craft wire one that’s very pretty and low learning curve.

I’m in.

Fired Arts does an ornament “class” every year. I’ve already got leftovers from last year’s for the class.

3 Likes

Looks like we have a start already

any idea when we want to start classes
November?

Depends on ornaments. Fibers did a skull-themed project last year timed for Halloween :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“What do you mean “we”, paleface?”

I suspect that this doesn’t need any extraneous organizing.

Agree, doesn’t really need organizing, per se,since it’s all like we do already, folks offer stuff, what they want, when they want…but it’s a discussion thread that is getting some creative class ideas flowing. Never a bad thing. Good discussion.

1 Like

And it would be nice if classes didnt get scheduled up against each other,

And ones in CA need to be planed around other classes in there

And it would be nice to get dome thing using the laser, dye sub, heck
maybe the woodshop would do something, 3 D fab
My thought is for it to be one of those things that allow a lot
folks to try new things, learn new skills,

That is why I said WE, we the members of the space

I suspect serendipity and personal schedules will take care of the majority of any clumps. That and most folks that teach in a department have an idea of what is typical flow of that schedule. Or it’s not hard to glance over the calendar for pattern flow. It’s still whatever medium of that department, just a focused or themed project. No need to overthink it.

Lots of other opportunities for herding cats at DMS :smiley:

2 Likes

I will need to get with Beth, since I have a second type of clay ornament
This one is a 3 d hand built Santas and Angels,

1 Like

That donation I got included some winter holiday themed beads and charms.

I can do a stocking class? Assuming we get the whole no show thing worked out. DMS is my happy place and that tends to really kill the vibe

2 Likes

A stocking class sounds great, Felt or woven fabric?

Probably felting. I also had ideas of doing gingerbread houses with polymer candies

1 Like

If felting and you need supplies, coordinate with me (we may have in fiber cabinet or can get). We have wool aplenty. Lots of needles if doing needle felting. Wet felting, we’re doing a class next month (@Kriskat30 is teaching) so we might have some logistics worked out to share if you want. Lemme know how we can help

Hashtag: fibery vortex :slight_smile:

(Btw, has anyone noticed doing an actual hashtag here in Talk can have weird effects??)

Not an ornament but since we are talking about Christmas - I would love a 2-part class where we sew a stocking in the first class and then embroider a name on it for the second class.

2 Likes

Good idea, should we start these in Oct>

With baby lock or by hand?

Ornament classes should probably shoot for Oct, Nov, early Dec time frames.

I make Styrofoam ball ornaments every year with beads, lace, trim, fabric, etc (I don’t like sequins too much). Would be happy to do a class, and I will provide 2 inch Styrofoam balls and some beads and trim, and the sequins I have. People could bring other stuff to use. A 3 hour class could probably have everyone go home with 2 or 3 ornaments,

2 Likes