Chris Wants to Know: What's a "Vapor Hone, and What's It Good For?"

So this may not be the perfect place to ask this, but what does this machine do/what can you use it for?

2 Likes

I have used it for multiple auto parts (not oily or greasy) to remove rust, minor amounts of paint, etc. It is easier on the parts being cleaned than sand blasting. Here is a photo of a carburetor from a 1969 Jaguar before and after the Vapor Hone ( the greasy parts were cleaned before the Vapor Hone was used) but check out the difference in the finish.

This machine is amazing and a large part (not the only part) of the reason I joined DMS, along with the lift, the wood shop, the welders, etc, etc, etc.

4 Likes

Oh ok so somewhere in between a sandblasted and a parts cleaner? Very cool not to hijack the thread but do you still have the jag?

Sure do.

9 Likes

Holy stuff, that’s awesome! Love the red! Did you restore that or was it just really well kept over the years! Look amazing, and I bet it runs……well like an old jag lol but under the hood looks immaculate

No, No, NO NO NO NO NO!
It is in no way a parts cleaner!
Only clean parts go in the Vapor Hone!
Like a wet media blaster. Exactly like.

7 Likes

No that’s why I said somewhere in between a parts cleaner and a sandblaster, is it equally low abrasive like media blasting, what’s the benefit of adding liquid to the process vs dry blasting?

5 Likes

The outside looked that good when I acquired it, under the hood and the interior did not. Without pulling the engine, I’ve done a ton of work and refurbished not restored the car. I’ve also installed 75% of a new interior (seat were/are in great condition). It is pretty solid, but to your point it, it drives like a 52 year old car without power brakes and/or power steering. Although I will be installing an electric power steering setup soon.

2 Likes

Also, the perils of driving a “race car” on the street. Get it up over 100mph like it’s meant to be, and you won’t really notice those “problems”…

1 Like

So true. I’ve only had it up to 80-85 and then it smooths out for sure!

1 Like

Back in the late 70s when I was a bouncer at one of the hottest discos in Dallas, my Uncle had a gorgeous silver 1965 Jag XKE convertible and we got into all kinds of fun trouble with it.

If I ever get the chance to buy one I will definitely be adding it to my small collection. Nothing has the distinctive exhaust note of a Jag XKE. Sexy sexy cars!

1 Like

My uncle bought one when I was 13 and let me learn to drive a stick on my 16th birthday in that car, what an uncle! As a result, the image of a Jag coupe was burned into my automotive memory cells and it had to wait until I was retired and the kids out of the house for me to get one.

1 Like

I kept an old advertising photo of a silver convertible XKE I found at an antique store on my studio wall for many many years, along with a full sized wall poster of a Cessna Citation X cockpit instrument panel, (cool executive jet that was unveiled at a Associated Air Center at Love Field where I worked at the time).

It’s like a sand blaster, but the media is wet, so no dust.

Great for removing rust and paint from metal. Leaves a matte finish on the metal which takes primer and paint well.

Note that there is no filter: the removed stuff becomes part of the blast media mix, so not recommended for removing oily gunk or other crud from metal - use the parts cleaner for this first.

Not recommended for stripping seasoning from cast iron pans, as this can change the surface texture and make reseasoning more difficult.

Yea that’s what I was reading, it helps with airborne dust control, leaves a smoother finish since the media doesn’t impregnate onto the surface due to the water! That’s pretty cool we have one, I’d always walk by and be like what the hell is that thing and why is there a water reservoir! Now I know lol

Does DMS have a sandblaster?

No. It was “too messy”, and the Vapor Hone replaced it.

1 Like

To expand more on this, we had a particulate monitor in the metal shop. With the sandblaster, the particulate PPM would go way up in the room. If you even walked in the room without it running, it would disturb the dust/particulate matter enough to cause spikes in the meter.

@John_Marlow & the late @wandrson did quite a bit of experimentation with it to come to those terms.

3 Likes

Here’s what my respirator mask’s filter looked like after blasting a bunch of rusty horse shoes using the old sandblaster. The Vapor Hone is most superior.

4 Likes