Chilled water recirculater for bath sonicator

I need to run the bath sonicator for 40 hrs in one step of a process to make high-sensitivity graphene-infused rubber band strain sensors. If a graphene dispersion becomes too hot while in the bath sonicator, the dispersion is no good for later processing; hence, I need to setup a chilled water recirculating system around the bath sonicator.

I was thinking of printing two peristaltic pumps (see link below) and having them driven by the same motor. One pump for chilled water into the bath, one pump for warmed water out of the bath. I think in the end they probably will not be powerful enough for the volume of the bath or might pump at inconsistent rates. Anybody with suggestions or equipment?

1 Like

Follow Ben Krasnow’s lead and just use the bottom end of a bottled water cooler. Hijack the thermostat an use a small fountain pump. Why reinvent the wheel?

1 Like

Do you have a link to a demonstration?

I think he’s talking about these blog entries: http://benkrasnow.blogspot.com/search?q=chiller

Ben has several cooler related post on his blog.

Here is his aquarium cooling setup.

My favorite is his liquid nitrogen rig as seen here. I have built a similar system but mine is less complicated.

Whoa ho ho! A liquid N2 generator for less than $500… Awesome! This is going in Science’s potential builds

1 Like

Thanks for the links! So anybody with a water cooler to spare?

I can bring one. It has not been used in awhile but should work.

Yes, please. Thank you!

Likely you will only need 1 pump unless the single pump can’t make the lift (ft of head as its called). Even then I would likely upsize the single pump. You could even use an old water fountain. How cold do you need your water?

Chilled water temperature will do the job perfectly. I don’t know the precise temperature where graphene dispersions become unstable (and it varies with dispersion parameters) but I’d guess >50oC you start taking chances.

As long as your load isn’t too great you could use a closed loop swamp cooler.

1 Like