Chemistry and copper patina interest check and help request

ok so the TLDR version is that i want to teach a class on copper patina as it applies to copper scales used in art projects and im hoping to find a hopeful chemistry buff that knows their way around the science lab and their in progress experiments and can hopefully answer a few dumb questions for me

for the long version including a description of the class i have in mind please visit the class thread i maintain HERE.

if this is in the wrong place please let me know. also in the future i would very much like to learn more about and then teach a class on electroplating and annodization

1 Like

When I click the link, I’m taken to a “Sorry, you don’t have access to that topic!”… never seen this before.

It seems this is caused by the talk platform. When I set up the thread some step I neglected to take or some setting I set incorrectly made it require a logged in Talk account to view the thread. I’d change it if I could figure out how but no luck yet. Until then you simply have to login to your talk account and click the link again. that said I intend to copy and paste the entry here when I can to make this a bit easier.

EDIT: Ok I think I fixed the link above but here is the copied and pasted Post I was referencing

ok folks got some bad news and some good news.
Bad news : due to some scheduling issues at work im only gonna be able to do one class in january and itll be towards the end of the month.
Good news is that i might actually have time to get a working parts list out in time for anyone interested to order parts.

as for progress on the parts list we are now officially on the third set of rings ive ordered to try and make this work if i cant make it work this time though i will have to move on to other ideas and the parts i have will move into the suprise project stuff finally the somewhat awaited patina class will take its place

Copper Patina class : for this class i will be covering safety, required materials (no parts list will be provided outside of my class*), safety, staging/prework, SAFETY, how to do it at home, SAFETY!!!, what is actually happening (SCIENCE!!!), care instructions, fun facts, useless trivia, and more. i will even be contacting the science department after i get this posted so that i can hopefully get better answers for the in depth questions at least. if i knew how to tag people or even who to tag i would probably do that here but if you happen to know feel free to do it for me if you want.

RESTRICTIONS
This is not normally a thing i do but because this class will in small part involve hazardous chemicals parental participation WILL be required for anyone under the age of 18. however i want to be clear this is mainly due to my own paranoia and dedication to inappropriately high safety standards. nothing in the class will be quite as awful as im sure i will make it sound. as always i am available to answer any questions.

• this is for safety reasons i dont want to give someone all the tools but none of the safety background individual research or my class would teach.

The link above appears to be a Private Message.
I think it was intended to go here
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/tonys-chain-scale-maille-class-news/24746/116?u=jast
Which notes at the top being a repost due to having been accidentally PMed.

As for why that thread is members only, this goes back to the intentional highjacking of TALK when everything was made members only and never properly restored, leaving DMS General category, where your thread sits, members only. You can recategorize it to a category which is not members only (members only is indicated by the lock icon next to the category name) such as #creative-arts or #jewelry-smallmetals or wherever it best fits other than #dms-general…
(In fact, “anyone” can recategorize the thread, so just shout if you’d like it done, and we can do it, or asking an admin will surely get it done…I would have done it now, but I’m not sure where it best fits).

umm I would definitely be grateful for any help fixing this issue with my thread if it doesn’t mean restarting it from scratch and it should be under the jewelry department as far as I know. Also thanks in part to your help I did edit my comments above to fix the reported problem.

1 Like

I’ve moved Tony's Chain/Scale Maille Class News to #jewelry-smallmetals where it should be viewable by the public.