Chemical disposal?

What is the policy and procedure for disposing of chemicals in the science area?

Where is this posted? I couldn’t find it in your wiki.

How would you enforce this if you had a working fume hood and/or sink with drain?

2 Likes

Great question, and one touched on in our committee meeting’s agenda today. Our fantastic lab manager has been investigating proper disposal methods and found that the city of Carrollton will dispose of chemicals for a small fee of $50. Other disposal services exist and have been investigated in the past too. We will install proper disposal containers in our lab soon (most likely along the lines of halogenic, acid, and bases) but this will need to be confirmed by committee vote after our Lab Manager has finished planning. Our six month goals (also seen on the agenda) focus heavily on safety.

Access to “non-amateur” chemicals will be kept under lock and key, and keys will be accessible by DMS RFID badge. I’ve constructed and finished a similar access system for the fume hood that will be installed when the rest of our lab is brought up to standards per my committee’s wishes. The RFID lock system works perfectly in sync with DMS’s IT, and future systems can easily include their own surveillance cameras triggered by badge or sensor. Determination of who has access to such chemicals has yet to be determined by our committee, but I’m fairly certain will entail a minimum of taking a safety class.

4 Likes

That’s all wonderful news! Good job, and thanks for sharing the news.

Is that @Josh_Melnick ? Kudos for a job well done.

2 Likes

No, our committee is moving towards a team focus consisting of vice-chairs, co-chairs, officers or whatever one would like to call them, and @tron is our current and superb Lab Manager who is doing one hell of a job!

4 Likes

he sure is! 1234567890

1 Like

You know … I really want to weigh in on this again. If I could have given a whole bunch of “Likes” above, I would have.

I am so impressed with the proactive approach the committee has taken. It would have been easy to just rely on people to not dump chemicals. There are more and more instances where just relying on people hasn’t been adequate.

Thanks for tackling the issue head-on and solving the problem.

4 Likes