Checklist for Shakeypoo XXL

For those that have taken the XXL class and requested a checklist I have posted a checklist PDF to the machine shop committee drive. It is located at:

N:\comittee drive (N:)->machineshop->Training->Shapoko 3XXL->/Checklist.pdf

it is also uploaded here. The checklist should follow the basic workflow slide from the class and hands on. cheers!
checklist.pdf (19.5 KB)

5 Likes

Thanks Nick. I added this to the wiki page.

1 Like

Nick,

With my CAM issues and posting issues resolved, and Carbide Motion loaded on my laptop computer, I arrived today to cut my first part on the Shakypoo. I used your check list to good effect. As the photo attests, the G-code was good and commanded the proper tool paths.

Had other issues. The Z set wrong with the probe method and only cut right when the z was set using the actual stock. Broke a 1/8" bit when it didn’t quite clear a hold down screw head. Thanks for the check list and the class,

Regards,
Bob

1 Like

Glad it worked out in the end. Hobby machines always seem to have bugs :ant:

I believe I had the same problem. In my case I just assumed it was operator error. Maybe it wasn’t.

Well,

That wasn’t quite the end; I came back yesterday. I decided to modify the design a bit to widen the slot and mount the work without producing the ugly second set of holes remaining in the finished piece. Also, repetitive use of a new tool/technology is necessary to learning. The modification and alternative mounting method worked out well (one which we had discussed - initial mounting by stock that would be removed in a subsequent contouring operation).

What didn’t go so well was that during the major contouring operation the collet loosened, allowing the 1/8" bit to descend through a half inch mounting spoil board and breaking that bit. I was over impressed by working with the Sherline mill where it is important to remember not to over tighten things.

My final attempt produced a fine result with no casualties of any kind. This time I tightened the collet with a bit of force, still not gorilla though. I wouldn’t say that I have worked out all CNC follies; it really is a different mind set than manual milling. I would go so far as to say that gaining experience with a minor CNC machine, perhaps, should be another prerequisite to Haas training for those new to CNC. Better for one to shake out the CNC dumb-ass moves of a newby on a cheaper machine first.

Some things that did work out well:

Setting the Z by direct touch directly on, or extremely close to the top of the stock.
Running the CAM (Fusion360) simulator to check tool paths.
Generating Carbide Motion G-code by post processing directly from CAM.
But it seems to me that the speeds and feeds generated by CAM defaults are too aggressive and need to be lowered by manual input with alternative values obtained, perhaps, by use of a calculator by The CNC cookbook.
Your Check list - great.
The high speed cutting did not seem to melt or blister the acrylic at all; I had expected that over heating could be a problem. An 1/8" bit doesn’t have much heat capacity.

Regards,
Bob

4 Likes