[Challenge] How cold is 4096 bytes? / Hackathon

You might have to some how run a bios call …

You might have to some how run a bios call …

Nope, NT-based Windows don’t call down to the BIOS - they have native hardware drivers for all your devices. Just like Linux they basically overwrite the BIOS once bootloader hands off control to the kernel.

My current path of thought would be to assemble to a 16bit DOS app and try to avoid dealing with MSVCRT.DLL. Otherwise one may have to create a win32 wrapper that static links MSVCRT.DLL then jumps into the 16 bit dos app.

Or just wrap it all up inside a dosbox image with somethink like http://dosbox-x.com

But I’m thinking out loud here and an ansi.sys, ascii art, and batch script would work no matter what :wink:

I didn’t know that our windows supported 16 bit dos apps … but in order to do anything in the dos app
. Wouldn’t it have to call part of windowa/dos? …

Actually, it’s “Borland”. That link to Lazerus really did give me a chubby to write some code. And it supports rPi’s as well. Very interesting. And an integrated debugger. Ooooo.

1 Like

Plus its an object oriented pascal. Now, if I wasn’t already spoiled by C and Python…

It looks a lot like Turbo Pascal 6.0, with some additions and improvements. Going to install it on my home pc tonight, and play with it a bit.

1 Like