Ceramics Kiln news - September 2020

Gold/Luster unload.

2 Likes

Wow! Just wow! All of them look amazing!

2 Likes

Looks like your “one ring to rule them all” mugs came out awesome @coffeebean! Everything looks good! I hope everyone is happy with their things :blush:

1 Like

Very! Thanks for organizing this event.

1 Like

Eeeeeeeekkkkkkkk :hugs:

1 Like

Come and get your beautiful pieces folks!

@jmeinel nice job on the shell!

Can’t wait to see it in person! Not quite like this picture shows, but I did add a couple extra layers of glaze. :rofl: I really like this combination, so I’ll have to see if I can get a little closer to what is predicted by the picture below.

3 Likes

I’m assuming there a batch of bisque in the kiln right now. Will it by chance be unloaded sometime today/early this evening? I want to come by tonight to do some glazing, but am still waiting on my pumpkin to get bisqued. It should be in the current batch being fired.

The plan is for Monika to unload during kiln team training class tonight (8). So please wait until they are done to pick up. Thank you.

1 Like

Bisque is out. Kiln reached a light 05. If you’re concerned they didn’t reach 04 place your pieces back on bisque shelf for refire. They should be fine but thought I’d give you the options.

1 Like

So what does this mean? I don’t understand kiln speak quite yet. I’m still learning. What are the risks if we glaze it now instead of refiring it? It’s been a really long wait for my poor pumpkin already. I don’t want it to be destroyed, but don’t want to wait longer if I don’t need to. :thinking:

Risk is the potential of pitting in the glaze. However, many potters bisque to much lower temps and don’t have issues. I really think your pumpkin will be fine and/or have character :grinning:

1 Like

I remember someone telling me that if there is pitting, you can also refire the glazed piece and hope that smooths it out. Is that also an option if I want to be impatient?

Maybe I should just join the kiln team and learn how to do it. Then I won’t have so many questions. :joy:

1 Like

Yes. Refiring can even out pitting. It all depends.

I am good with my pieces getting done between 04 to 06. My main concern for pitting and glazing issues is was the kiln vented so the gasses can exit the kiln?

If the top peep was out, as we voted on, my items do not need a refire.

1 Like

@Tracy looks like all your pieces are done and ready to pick up.

There is no easy answer for pitting unfortunately, I can tell you some general reasons. The bisque temp is certainly one but there are several others. Dark clays are more prone to pitting than white clays, the glaze formula (some glaze are more prone to pit than others), the glaze application (to thick), the glaze firing temp, the glaze firing cool down, if it’s too fast the glaze “hardens” before the bubbles have time to heal. There’s lots of information on the internet if you want to learn more about it.

5 Likes

Yes we are continuing to fire with the top peeps out.

1 Like

Is this yours?
I think it’s mine, but didn’t put a mark on it, ugh, my bad.
Won’t snatch if anyone speaks up.

Not mine, April doesn’t usually make bowls so I’d say it’s yours.

1 Like