Ceramics Kiln News - November 2022

Remember, remember, the 5th of November
Oh wait, we’re not quite there yet!

Please follow this thread to determine if your items are ready to pick up and we kindly ask that you pickup your piece ASAP especially as we’re in the busy holiday season. If your piece has a star in it, the item is being marked for our 30-day guideline. Please put the stars back in the glass dish on the shelf after collecting your pieces.

As a reminder there is no personal storage on our shelves or in the Ceramics space, so please be mindful of others.

If you have a piece that’s been “missing”, please double check the Needs Attention thread

5 Likes

Bisque unloaded….come get’em and glaz’em

Glaze unloaded!!! We have some very talented potters!!!

2 Likes

Fishbowls are amazing!!! Love them! Who did those?

Not sure….but we were admiring them as well!

1 Like

Unloaded bisque

2 Likes

I am truly always “bowled” over by the talent we have in our ceramics area, not to mention their prolificacy (yes, it’s really a word!)

2 Likes

Fishbowls are mine! They are a wedding gift set for a friend.

4 Likes

They are beautiful!!! :two_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you!

Is that an underglaze transfer?

Another bisque unloaded…y’all better come get’em!!!

2 Likes

No, I just painted it by hand with underglaze. :blush:

3 Likes

Glaze unloaded

1 Like

Bisque unloaded

2 Likes

Unloaded glaze

2 Likes

Bisque unloaded

2 Likes

Hello Kiln Team!

Thanks for doing such an incredible job with all of our work. You’re incredibly talented in what you do!

I’ve got a strange looking sculpture nest that has been passed over a couple times. The clay is the same as some of my previously fired pieces but this one is just a bit heavier. It has been drying for several months now and is good to go! I’m so excited for all of these pieces of work that everyone is putting out to be finished! It’s so inspiring to see everyone’s different styles and skills come to life.

Thanks again for absolutely everything you all are doing. This committee and group here at DMS is a wonderful group of individuals and I have been blessed to get to know some of you while I’ve been here. I’m moving to Florida at the end of next month, so I do hope to get to say some final goodbyes. You’re the group that has taught me ceramics and I will always be thankful for this.

Cheers,

Chanel

1 Like

If your piece has been passed over a couple of times, it probably flunked the “tetris test”. It’s got to fit on the shelf with things. Other smaller things will get in ahead of things that need a specific amount of room. If I’ve loaded a shelf with big stuff, then I’m looking for small things to squeeze in and maximize the load.

Your piece will get in eventually. Sooner or later, it will be the oldest piece left to load, and it will have priority at that point.

1 Like

I noticed that too! I love that sculpture piece and I’m excited to see how you finish it up!
Seems as if there has been a mad rush to get Christmas stuff fired and as a kiln loader at another studio I get the Tetris thing.
One thing we do at my other studio is have the shelves labeled with dates so we know if something has been there a while and needs to be fired. If a big piece doesn’t fit, we make it a priority after 2 weeks.
Thank you kiln loaders for all your work! I would love to be a kiln person and help out Mon- Thursday. I’d need training for y’all’s systems but let me know if you need help.
*Also might be able to do some Sundays as well.

C. Tucker