Ceramics Kiln News - March 2023

It is! Mari did it! They are relatively new to the space :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Unloaded glaze

2 Likes

3 Likes

Unloaded bisque! Nice pieces :smile:

Shelves are pretty full, come get ‘em.

A reminder that a lot of pieces are over the 30 day mark and will be tossed late tomorrow evening.

1 Like

Glaze unloaded please come get your goodies.

5 Likes

Fyi: Late night blues! So I will now be putting in money for glazing with next weeks trip for pick up. Thank you all

Unloaded bisque

1 Like

Unloaded glaze too

2 Likes

These pieces are scheduled for departure on 4/26. Please make sure you claim them quickly. They have a silver star in/on them. Please put the star in glass dish on the shelf.

There were suppose to be 2 photos…not sure what happened to the other…but it was the other side…showing pieces on the bottom shelf.

And another note: please look through the stack of cookies and claim what is yours.

3 Likes

To the Kiln team/ Other experts.
Please help me out here with my plate which arched as high as the rim. On Anna’s suggestion, I’d put a note on each of my celadon plates, to say that “this is celadon and wont stick.”
This was the only plate fired on prongs: Lolo’s cookie with three ceramic prongs in its middle… probably meant for her little things.
This what happened and I want to learn from this and see if fired again on a flat surface, is there a chance of it flattening slightly downwards in the middle?
(I am making my next plate thicker to see if that helps).
I left it there with a request note and a single layer of re-glaze. Thank you all🙏

Sincerely, Vandana

1 Like

If the plate was posted on a stilt that did not support the entirety of the bottom, I believe this is why the middle warped/arched. Trying to refire on a flat surface may help but may not flatten out the piece completely.

Large flat items can be difficult to fire flat with no warping even if they are placed completely flat in the kiln. I have struggled with trays as well. If you are going to post it because 1/4 rule was not adhered to then you need a post that supports the entire bottom of the piece.

The note about it being Celadon glaze is about the need for a cookie or not.

I will once again highly suggest you join a glaze class. I know you have done so in the past and have worked with clay for quite sometime, however you have had quite a few questions since your return. It is possible that the majority of your questions could be answered in that class.

It’s always good to have a refresher.

4 Likes

Monika is correct, flat is tricky for several reasons. I’m guessing the reason to stilt on three prong post was that you wanted to glaze the backside of the plate also. Clay defiantly moves during firing, plates need more support than a stilt will provide - generally they need a foot built in. If glaze on backside is desired the foot can allow it.

1 Like

I have never needed, nor requested stilts on any plate so far.
But as always I appreciate your response! @Steve1 @Monikat Completely new couldnt-have-guessed-situations for me.

Did you not request/place the stilt under your plate for firing? If this was done without your direction I need to understand that please. Thanks

1 Like

I think most of us have been looking at the Celadon note, and didn’t feel the need for a cookie/stilt. However, you are glazing pretty close to the edge, so a loader may have thought that some sort of cookie/stilt was needed.

1 Like

Yes that is correct but no complaints. My last day as member is April 3rd, so I just want to learn for my own self. I do appreciate the volunteer time put in by our kiln team.
I showed Anna how I clean my bases on the large damp sponge.

1 Like

Thank you for that information, It helps us learn as well.

1 Like

Bisque unloaded…. Come get your lovelies

2 Likes

Bisque unloaded.

Unloaded the glaze, come get it!

1 Like