Ceramics Kiln News - December 2021

Remember to follow this thread and pick up your items ASAP. We are heading into the holidays and the shelves are staying pretty full these days. If your piece has a star in it please put the stars in the little glass dish on the shelf.

Thank you and Happy making!

3 Likes

Unloaded glaze

3 Likes

Thank you for starting our December thread!

hi! in regards to other mug, does that mean it is damaged? sorry new to ceramics, but thank you for moving the others for me!! :slight_smile:

Bisque is unloaded and shelves are full, please come collect your things

Since it went to Cone 6, it’s now vitrified. If you wanted any other glaze on it, it’s a bit tricky. Not undoable, but tricky. There are those here who add glaze to already glazed pieces and refire, so it’s not impossible. Not my vibe, though.

There are several folks who will re-glaze for various reasons so it is definitely an option.

Make sure to sign up for the 100 series of class. They are key to utilizing our space effectively :grinning:

2 Likes

Morning errors….sorry folks!

1 Like

Glaze unloaded

In regards to reglazing, while I really don’t care to do it (takes kiln space…again), it is occasionally worth the effort. The two photos below are of the same bowl. After the first firing, there was a bit of kiln wash right in the middle so I dremeled it off, touched up the glaze and then took advantage of the refire to add way more Albany Slip than I had the first time. I was far too conservative on the initial firing and the bowl was very blah.

If anyone ever needs help with reglazing, I can help out! Different types of glazes benefit from different refire application techniques.

7 Likes

I am a much more novice potter than @cmcooper0 (and a lot of folks at DMS, frankly), but I echo this sentiment wholeheartedly. I have reglazed and refired a piece and not only was it a really educational, interesting experience, I was much happier with the result after I did so.

2 Likes

This piece was left on the workbench. Not sure if the potter was still doing something with it or if it was supposed to be on glaze shelf.

The needs attention shelf is overflowing. Some items that need to be reviewed are on the glaze shelf.

Please take a look and if you’re far away or out of town and need a close up of note, let me know and happy to try to help. Remember, there’s a lot of people on the kiln team and sometimes we err on the side of caution, especially if glaze is to the bottom and we’re concerned about your pieces sticking to cookies.

Bisque unloaded, shelves are packed again :blush:

Glaze unloaded, please come get your lovelies

Abandoned work in the kiln area. Please come retrieve your pieces.

1 Like

Bisque unloaded

oh awesome! thanks for you help! I would love to get some help on the reglazing process from you :slight_smile:

Is it possible that those (except for the cup) are too big for the shelves? I mean, I saw the young lady carrying that piece that’s sitting on the table back there, and I wondered if it would actually fit in our kilns.

I guess that’s possible but there is no note or any explanation on talk, that I’ve seen, as to why these are in the kiln area.

1 Like