Ceramics Committee Chair Vote 7/19

I would like to put my name in the running for Chair of Ceramics. Being at the makerspace, I have learned a lot, specifically in this department, and it has become my favorite area to make art.
(vote for me and there will be fresh homemade scones at every meeting :laughing:)

6 Likes

Thank you April for throwing your hat in the ring :grinning:. Do you have answers to the questions I posed above?

All, given the lack of response to any of the ceramic posts in these crazy times, I believe we should postpone our chair vote until we are back to some “new normal” and we have more of our members participating. Thoughts?

2 Likes

This advise was posted in Discord in response to another chair’s query about whether they should schedule elections via virtual committee meeting:
Since…
• DMS facilities are closed,
• Our facilities are the organization’s raison d’être ,
• Board elections have been postponed,
• There is no April Board meeting scheduled,
• And the intent was for the subsequent Board to approve Chairs …
I would suggest delaying Committee Chair elections until DMS has reopened

Note this is a suggestion

5 Likes

Delaying sounds fine to me. You might double check with the Board.

3 Likes

Thank you for the information

1 Like

@divineutopia I’m adding you to this post. We need to get you added to Team_ceramics as well.

Thank you for adding me to this post.

Yes please! To getting me added to Team Ceramics! I don’t know how to do it :((

What is ‘Discord’?

The unofficial chat interface at chat.dallasmakerspace.org Runs on Discord, which is sort of like Slack, if that helps…

Ahhh. So it’s another software app thing for community and communication :))

Is it reserved for a certain group of DMS, the Chairs for example? Or open to all members?

1 Like

This one.:blankspace:

When people express an interest in the position of Ceramics Committee Chair, could they also share their name?

The DMS member ‘nickname’ doesn’t tell me who these individuals are.

Cool! Thank you!

1 Like

If you click on their picture a pop up will open that many times has their real name but not always.

Yes, I did that :)) some had no ‘further’ name and some a first name, which doesn’t help much because outta 2,000 members there’s bound to be more than one John etc :)))

Names don’t matter for ‘most’ messages, but for members submitting their name for a voting position for a committee/department, board member position etc etc, I think it’s good for people to know who is up for the vote :)))

As I said in my message “but not always”.

All, I will add the call in number for the Wednesday 5/6 meeting at 6:30 to the event on the calendar.

Please join us if you are available.

Thanks, Monika

3 Likes

@dryad2b above there is a post from Rich on the progress of the ventilation system. Until we can move kilns, I don’t think it’s wise to move the shelving.

@Team_Ceramics the notes from last nights meeting have been updated.

All, bringing this thread back up as a way to ask the candidates your questions before our vote on 7/19

1 Like

Hi , I am April Burk…I would like to run for Ceramics Committee Chair. I have been a member at the Makerspace since September 2017. The ceramics department is the main reason I joined the space.
Regarding with attracting new members…I have done a couple of markets and have given out the Dallas Makerspace information. I think the calendar attracts a lot of people, and as soon as we are able to, getting classes back up should be our top priority.
Right now however, we should focus on the members we have now and become a more cohesive group in ceramics. All of us have joined the ceramics group because we all love to art. For the most part, it is suppose to be fun and relaxing…except when you cannot center or you find the cracked bottom after firing. I am hoping, if elected, that all can have the floor during meetings and say what they think is better for the area. Yes some things are hard to agree on, but there is a middle ground somewhere. Maybe even trying one suggestion and see how it goes, and then other and compare. There is no better place to go to make ceramics, otherwise none of us would still be here. Oh, if elected, I will bring homemade scones to the meetings :laughing:

6 Likes