Ceramics: August Abandoned Work Disposal

These pieces have well exceeded our ‘in progress’ grace period and will be disposed of. Please contact me immediately and please, please come pick up your work or it will sadly drift away…never to be seen again. Save it from this fate!

All pieces will be on the bottom right hand shelf for retrieval.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, do abandoned pieces like this go straight to the dumpster, or do they get shuttled to off-site storage for a period of time first like abandoned projects in other areas of DMS?

I ask, because the tone of your post implied the former…

(FWIW, none of these is mine).

1 Like

That’s a good question!

They are disposed of as the signage in the committee area indicates. The works shelves aren’t ‘storage’, they are essentially a tool. It has a lot to do with the stages where the progress of work is out of your hands. It can take a highly variable amount of time to move to each phase so it isn’t something community potters can precisely plan around. We give a nice sized window for folks to process their piece to the next stage/pick up from the final one. The key phases where one must act are for green pieces still in progress (waiting to trim, slab assembly, etc.), bisqued items awaiting glazing, and final completed items.

The absolutely best thing is to monitor the progress of pieces closely and get them quickly from one point to the next, making room for what is coming in behind. That’s the ideal, :).

5 Likes

Hi, I put notes on the pieces i have that have been waiting over 3 months, when do you think they’ll be done?

1 Like

Oh no! Thank you for putting a note on them. Items can sometimes get overlooked and it’s almost never intentionally (occasionally a purposeful delay can happen due to odd shape/size). I’m out of town but either Beth will get them on the next community firing or I’ll put them through on the small kiln when I get back.

In general, if there is a piece that hasn’t made into the past 1 to 2 community firings, please put a note on it to draw attention (‘Added on xx/xx’ or ‘need by xx/xx if possible’, that sort of thing.)

I just recently learned that you wanted them fired at Cone 6. And, naturally, when I got to the tall shelf, it wasn’t quite tall enough for the rack. So – soon! Very soon!

2 Likes