Ceramic throwing class

I noticed there is no empty or available spots for a ceramics class. Can we see about adding some or can I just do the online 100 class and will give me permission to use the throwing wheels?

Do you already know how to throw?

Not much but I have tried before

Actually…

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/19324

Is a throwing class. While Ceramics 100 does give you access to our area, you will need to provide your own clay. We glaze-fire to Cone 6, so you need a clay that vitrifies by that temp. Usually clay is sold as Cone 5 or Cone 10. Trinity Ceramic Supply, our local vendor, sells us Cone 5 clay normally. The class will give you some clay to use. That’s what the $5 charge is about.

So do I need to take both 102 and throwing classes?

You need to take ceramics 100 to use the space. The online course isn’t updated and is behind on some regulations and the area of the space, but it will give you access and the basic idea behind how clay works if you want to start right away.
If you can get into a class or just ask to sit in that would be great, because even the basic throwing class walks you through the space.

2 Likes

If you’ve only “tried before”, then an actual class would be beneficial for you. The other point I was trying to make was that the class would give you some clay to work with. You’re not required to take a throwing class. It’s merely a Good Idea.