Ceramic kiln news - october 2019

Bisque was unloaded earlier this evening. The shelves are overflowing onto the glaze shelves. Please come get your items. We also loaded a glaze kiln…thanks Jenny and Chris C for the assist!

5 Likes

Glaze unloaded and bisque loaded in Fitz. Please come get your pieces we need room on the shelves. Thanks Johnny and Anette for the assist.

4 Likes

Thank you!

Would someone please put my little sink into the small clear plastic tub that says “Sink” on it, if it isn’t already in there? It was last seen at the back of the “glaze ready to be fired” shelf.

That white x blue ombre looking cup is wonderful!

1 Like

Bisque unloaded yesterday morning. Thank you @Anette_Henningson for helping unload! Shelves full, please pick up your pieces.

4 Likes

Bisque is out and we are overflowing! Come glaze up all your lovelies. :hugs:

5 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

My piece was badly pitted. Has anyone else had problems with pitting?

2 Likes

I’ve been vacuuming the shelves, space, kilns, and hoods after runs and that’s not helping. It seems to have creeped back the last few months. I know Steve, Christi, John, Peter, and myself have had issues recently. All of us but one use our own glazes for the most part.

Log book and witness cones would be really helpful.

3 Likes

It’s been kinda hit or miss, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn’t. I wish I kept better records but I’m a little lazy there. From my pieces, seems the “runny glazed” are affected more often. I don’t feel like I have been prepping and glazing any differently, happened on differing clay bodies (some thrown some slip cast). I don’t keep track of which kiln they were fired in, just a lot of variables to the problem. John Briitt’s book suggests possibilities:
“Pinholes are small holes on the surface of the fired glaze piece. They occur when a material burns out of the clay or glaze and comes to the surface as a gas. The bubbles leave craters that don’t heal over during the firing. Pine holes may be caused by improper bisque-firing, too-fast glaze firing, high viscosity glazes, or by using materials (like rutile) that emit gas late in the firing”

3 Likes

I donated some leftover cones for witness packs (5,6 and 7), they are in the locked cabinet under the glazes. I don’t know how many are left, but enough for the next glaze run for sure. I’d recommend to use them for each zone, there can be big differences.

They are self-supporting so put them directly on the shelf and they won’t stick to kiln wash.

Data is lovely. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Are all kiln runs (of the same type; bisque, glaze, etc.) programmed identically?

Glaze is out come get your lovelies :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Ahhh, Tiki lovelies!

1 Like

Bisque unloaded… we are overflowing… please come get your items.

1 Like

Is there a load of bisque in one of the kilns? I picked up all of my pieces that were fired and couldn’t find several of them that were waiting to be fired. I’m assuming that’s the case, I just want to make sure I didn’t goof and they got tossed.

There’s Was a full bisque kiln loaded at 6pm.

Awesome! Thanks guys :slight_smile:

1 Like

The fifth photo in this series (10/19 glaze unload) shows a white bowl that appears to be pitted.

Does anyone know to whom that bowl belongs? I’d like to know what that bowl was glazed with since it looks like it had the same problem that my sink had. Mine had white underglaze in the bisque run and Snow from the brand new jar in the glaze run.

I’m just trying to figure out what to do or not do.

EDIT: I should clarify that I did a test tile with the same white underglaze, the old jar of Snow, and the same batch of clay and it was beautiful.

2 Likes

Great article on both pinholing and pitting: https://digitalfire.com/4sight/troubleshooting/ceramic_troubleshooting_glaze_pinholing_pitting.html

This is my first round resource when I am experimenting.

3 Likes