CDC mask recommendation update

This is the depressing reality of the populace we have nowadays - inconvenience is now sacrifice, hardship politically untenable, actual sacrifice unspeakable.

5 Likes

Correction: masks stamped KN95 were never hard to find :wink:

1 Like

True, the number of forgeries were regrettably high, but the real deal wasn’t difficult to locate if one pushed past the forces of hucksterism.

I had 3M half-masks for all three of us - purchased after the 2009 flu and after reading “The Monster at our Door”. Just had to grab fresh filter cartridges in Feb. ‘20. I also scored a 3M full face mask at that time - expensive enough that it remained available longer than the half masks.

Nature isn’t done. A dangerous influenza is still waiting in the wings and I’m afraid this episode has primed a large portion of the population to make that future outbreak disasterous.

anyways.

I don’t think daily updates are needed for us, a little bit of over caution can go a long way for us to not become a hot spot and it comes at the price of wearing a mask while you are at the space. it’s not like we are asking people to come in with their hands ziptied to their belt loops and only talk in rhymes.

since dfw has been flagged as a RedZone on the map, we could keep updating every two weeks or weekly until it drops low enough for us to be comfortable with removing masks.

the mask policy probably hasn’t done anyone a real disservice in the wood/metal/ceramics areas anyway. lots of bad dusts in the air already.

7 Likes

Agree to disagree? I’m down with CDC guidance if that’s what DMS decides to do, I’ll back that despite the baggage I think it’ll bring. Beyond that, like over caution, and I think the juice most definitely isn’t worth the squeeze for DMS. What would really go a long way for us is more folks getting vaccinated and that’s the impossible to ignore elephant in the room. Masks and the minutiae around their use is small potatoes compared to getting more folks vaccinated. For folks on the fence, please look into it again. There’s a lot more info out there now that more time has passed and more people have been vaccinated.

9 Likes

So are we going to end the ineffective policy of having tour takers wear masks while everyone else is optional? mask up consistently or I swear to god I’ll unleash my powerpoint lecture on Dijkstras algorithm

Mask Mandate? So, this begs the question… can the makerspace also ban anyone who isn’t vaccinated from admission to the makerspace grounds? It would only make logical sense. If you are not vaccinated, don’t come to the makerspace because that would make the space liable if you contract Covid D. Just asking.

Masks are self-evident while vaccination status is not.

1 Like

You are saying the space cannot check actual compliance. Doesn’t matter. If someone lies but a ban is in place, the liability shifts to the person and away from the space.

I’m saying that verification will be markedly more difficult for the organization - actively checking status is quite the administrative overhead.

at the risk of straying off topic… the space probably can do this, but probably will receive lots of push back from current members. “this wasn’t a condition of membership when I joined”

crazy idea: How hard would it be to inactivate all fobs, create a new waiver acknowledging risks of COVID-19 in enclosed spaces and recommend vaccination, and require acceptance/signature to reactivate fobs?

Not feasible.

1 Like

And also, I’d expect membership to plummet as well if that happened.

3 Likes

We’re not the vaccination police. I encourage people to get vaccinated but it’s not worth the trouble for DMS. The state, employers, schools, and others can be the vaccination police if society decides that’s necessary. Just like they are now for other vaccinations.

5 Likes

Since you can make a vaccination card in five minutes why waste time checking them?

This is what I was hinting at in prior responses - the barrier for forgery low while the barrier for verification (to say nothing of the labor) is quite high.

and why my suggestion would be to just ask everyone to mask up again. none of this honor system “is/isn’t vaccinated” rules.

2 Likes

Today my employer adopted the CDC guidance that follows the level of spread per county. Maybe we do the same and put the map up on a TV at the space? Or maybe some Raspberry Pi around the space with LED colors driven by Dallas county status?

EDIT: API query for Texas a couple days ago (URL changes the date). Dallas county is result 56. This could be used to drive a Raspberry Pi or whatever else. https://ephtracking.cdc.gov:443/apigateway/api/v1/getCoreHolder/1001/2/1/48/20210728/0/0

1 Like

Is the CDC following spread? Why spread? Lots of diseases spread, like the common cold and of course the flu. Are they equating spread with deaths? That goes a long way in explaining the fear of the D variant. That also kind of stacks the deck since the D variant is known to be even more contagious. Guess we’re heading for another lock down.