Casting Copper and Silver Using a Metal Forge?

Hello. I took a tour of DMS a week or two ago. My goal is very simple; I want to create 1 oz - 10 oz copper and silver bars. I want to melt down junk silver and copper, but I do not own an electric (large or small) or backyard (engineered or professional) forge like one might see on YouTube. Does Dallas Maker Space have one with a crucible? Does anyone here have experience doing this?

I want to make something like this:

Also, does DMS have a set of letters that one could imprint letters and numbers using a hammer. I’m not calling this the correct techincal terminology. Are there ways to engineer lettering using 3D printing, if the metal is still soft?

I’m a newbie and need help. Please point me in the right direction.

Neil

1 Like

Fired arts has a melting furnace.
So does Jewelry/Small Metal.

I know virtually nothing about JSM’s.
Here’s a thread with some (hopefully) useful info on the Fired Arts furnace, and processes.

You will need to supply your own crucibles, I think for the Fired Arts furnace, as they have one for aluminum only ( you do not want to cross contaminate)
JSM might have dedicated crucibles for those materials.

I am too ignorant of sizes and volumes and their relationships to assist on the letter/number punching equipment, and whether we have anything that could do such things or not. Depending on size, cheap-o sets can be had from the likes of Harbour Freight.

In my opinion, again, with large gaps in my knowledge, you’re looking for Jewelry/Small Metal assistance…
(1 Troy Ounce of Silver occupies ~ 3cm^3 of volume. I am under the impression this is a relatively small amount, but having trouble visualizing…)

EDIT: no idea what you’re asking with engineering lettering using 3d printing…

2 Likes

@nausser915 might be able to answer your questions.

1 Like

This looks usable. So, Dallas Maker Space owns this, and right now it lives in the Metal Shop or Jewerly area. Pardon my ignorance. My plan would be to buy a couple of crucibles, some graphite molds, scrap copper, and have an all day casting session.

1 Like

Unfourtantly the electric furnace we had broke, but hope to have it replaced soon. However, in the mean time, you can use Oxy-propane or just straight propane for small amounts. I would suggest fused silica crucibles for copper versus the graphite. We have a few crucibles and ingot molds in the department.

To imprint, we have two sets of letter punches. You will need to anneal first if you do that. You may also be able to use the Shapeoke for a more efficient way to apply lettering.

3 Likes

If by “this” you mean the “Model A Foundry Furnace” from “Lost & Foundry”, yes.
It is kept within the confines of “Fired Arts”, which is most identifiable for the pottery, but also houses “Jewelry/Small Metals”. @nausser915 has already chimed in with what I suspect is very helpful information. Beth (@dryad2b) would be the contact for the Fired Arts, as the chair, but you can read most of her information at the link I provided before. Between the two of them, I’ll bet Beth and Joseph can get you on the right path. :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Yes – we’ve got a small propane-fired foundry. Paul @Hardsuit Knows All. I’ll be back around Tuesday, although Paul or John K could open up the cabinet. Definitely need your own crucible for copper, and supply your own propane…

3 Likes

Get with someone on this, as handling a crucible of 2000 *F molten metal is outright dangerous and not to be taken lightly. Heavy protective clothing is needed. Have a sand pit for overpours or broken crucibles and a safety area.

2 Likes

Agreed. Eye proctection, boots, etc. Fortunately, my gf has been working with metals for awhile on a smaller scale. She has some propane and tank (I think I bought it for her?). I just need to get my hands on a crucible and raw copper. Thanks for the concern.

copper has a higher melting point than silver and don t forger
that you need to remove the dross from it also

Yes. You do NOT want to do this over concrete as it will pop and spit the molten metal around.

I’m sure it doesn’t compare to doing it in person, but at this point I’ve watched 100s of videos on YouTube of others doing it. With “scrap” or “junk” I’m sure there will be a good amount of dross.

Right now I’m trying to find a dealer or indivual that will sell me some copper tubing or wire that is .999 or .950, and hopefully just under spot (which is $2.56 a pound today). I just put an ad on craiglist. We’ll see what happens.

I’ve been marketing and selling .999 silver online via a company called JM Bullion / SIlver.com for the last six months via finished products such as rounds and hand poured bars. Of course that’s very hands off and behind a computer. It’s time to get raw!

I’m ready to do the very basic steps to start my own mint, even if it only starts with a forge and some copper and silver. : )

Wish me luck!

if you get serious, you might invite Cairenn along for the ride on copper…
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/can-we-melt-copper-scrap/17269

1 Like

Casting the ingot isn’t a big deal. You can make a stamp for the bottom of the mold too so it’s cast in. If the goal is to sell your main issue is we don’t have a lab to test to ensure what you’re stamping is what you are stamping it as. I might be wrong but I thought last I took a serious jewelry class marking something as .999 and having it not be was illegal? I’ve only ever made ignots from scrap to recast for personal use.

2 Likes

I have lots of little cut offs of copper sheet, I just hae to throw them away

I’ll meet you there when it’s convenient for you at DMS. I may be doing the 3D printing class on Monday at 1pm. I don’t have a membership, yet. I’ll you $2.15 a pound.

1 Like

Don’t do that. Lol if you’re throwing them away my jewelry kids will take them. They need scrap to practice on and I haven’t built up a decent collection of it yet

Are you selling sheet or buying? I heard rumors we had someone with scrap yard contacts and the space but haven’t explored that legend yet

1 Like

What we’ve got is a metal sheet to set the equipment on and do the pours over. I remember we didn’t bother back in college, but they had a big crucible, and the instructor didn’t let us pour.

1 Like

I’m buying. I’m trying to get copper near or below spot value.