Cast Ceramics from a Mold

I want to make a ceramic cup from a 3D printed model. How would I go about making a mold to cast ceramics in? Do we have the stuff to do it here, would a Smooth-On silicon mold work for ceramics?

Think plaster. Typically, one pours slip (clay and water) into a plaster mold, filling it up. The plaster pulls the water out. You let it dry for a while (@coloneldan or @Nathan_Jones might know how long) until you’ve got the wall thickness you want, and then you pour out the extra slip so that the piece is hollow. Plaster should be easy enough to get, and folks who’ve wanted to make their own mold have made a plywood box.

Here’s a video I pulled off of youtube – no idea how helpful it might be…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rawAPM_ksSQ

I have never made a mold, but I have done poured ceramics
If you are doing a mug it needs to be be a 2 piece mold with it
divided doen the middle of the handle

I have been interested in slip casting using 3D printed items and a plaster mold but haven’t tried it. I never have time to do everything that I want to do. :slight_smile: Trinity sells casting slip but I have a 3 gallon bucket of it that I haven’t even started to use yet, you’re welcome to use some of mine.

2 Likes

I have been wanting to cast some slump and press molds from clay, Thus
needs to be none on a table other than the wedging table,

Why don t we find a time and set up a groups to use cast
some Plaster of Paris molds,
We will need tome forms, I need to check and see if using
heavy cardboard would work, depending on size,

The press mold I want is fairly small, maybe 8 x 3 inches,

I have a couple of plaster molds if anyone wants to try those. But I’m interested in mold making too! This sounds like a lot of fun. I will definitely be there if I can get away and I’ll be happy to bring whatever supplies I have.

1 Like

Then lets see if we can find a time, I don t know what to call it, And
I need to talk to some folks, We can learn togetther