Carving Chisel Sharpening classes request

Request for class ( multiple times on different times/days if enough interest ) on how to sharpen tools,
with the main focus on carving chisels for wood, linoleum plates, etc.

4 Likes

I second this!!!

1 Like

I also second this.

1 Like

What kinds of questions do you have, can you post pictures of what you want to sharpen. I use mostly diamond stones or if the bevel is in a concave area I’ve used a piece if wood with silicon carbide sandpaper, and sometimes a leather strop with abrasive as a final step.

My typical check for sharpness is to see if the edge will snag your fingernail with light pressure. A 10x or 20x loupe also comes in handy to look at the edge.

I do some lathing, so I would like to know how to sharpen the various chisels (Ex: carbide tip, gouges,…).

Aside from that, I also have pocket knives and kitchen knives that I need to take better care of and sharpen.

Does that answer your question?

For wood turning tools we use a bench grinder or tools with replaceable carbide inserts. I’ll talk to @prl2018 about wood turning sharpening. I thought that was in basic woodturning class but really haven’t paid attention to that. I looked at some of the tools last week and there weren’t very many that were sharp.

Knives are really easy on our diamond stones.

chartpart2
Pretty much this chart covers the variety of chisels I’d be interested in learning how to sharpen. The V gouges in particular have always given me trouble.

1 Like

I’m pretty open after lunch Saturday or sunday. Let me know if you have a time preference. I don’t have one of these style stones, might be handy on small V chisels, I have lots of different grits of wet or dry sandpaper we could play with.

1 Like

Sunday afternoons work best for me.

Hi Chuck - What Lathe tools are you interested in learning to sharpen? I haven’t done a full sharpening class in some time. In general, the interest wasn’t there to warrant a class. Let me know and we’ll figure out a time to get together.

Thanks,

Paul

I am also interested in sharpening traditional lathe tools.

Hi Howard and @cwai2007 ,

I’ll get a lathe tool class up - It will probably be a weekend day time class in early April - Night classes have gotten a little more difficult as road construction out my way has roughly doubled my commute home after 8PM.

I appreciate you holding a class on this topic!

Great, I will watch for it…Thanks.

I’ll be there 1:00-2:00 today if anyone needs help with using the diamond stones.

1 Like