Carrying on . .

Now is a good time to keep the Maker spirit alive – while we’re all twiddling our thumbs at home. Let’s use this down time to build up our non-physical Maker skill set.

Now is the time to learn Tinkercad, Illustrator, Photoshop/Gimp, Solidworks, Fusion360, Python programming, artificial intelligence theory, or the like. Now is the time to advance our projects to the stage where they are fully designed and ready to prototype when DMS re-opens. If there’s a part of our curriculum that can be migrated online and possibly recorded for sharing, let’s do that.

Sure, we could take online courses, but what’s the fun in that? Please share your skills directly with our community.

I’ll start the ball rolling. I’ll take-on one online DMS student and coach him/her by telephone and TeamViewer on how to do 3D modeling in Tinkercad and Solidworks. Once I’ve figured out how to make that work, maybe I’ll expand it to a few students more on a conference call. If any of you want to follow my example in other fields and post reports of your progress, I encourage it.

So, who wants to be my first student? First come, first served.

6 Likes

Well while we’re at it, anyone know if Flutter is worth learning for app dev? Is there a better suite?

Please consider volunteering by holding online classes. It would be great to get online classes on the calendar. All DMS members have access to Google Meet. Here are instructions for setting up a class, meeting or other online event with Google Meet:

2 Likes

This is a great idea!

2 Likes

I’m waiting for internet to be put in at my rental house (where I’m self-isolating). Supposed to be here yesterday but now tomorrow. Cellular router until then and too expensive…

Once I have real internet I’ll happily do 1-on-1 Solidworks.

4 Likes

I’m building my startup’s concept mobile app with Flutter, and honesty it wins by far for quick iterations. It’s tooling is strong, and there’s not tons of overhead. The only thing I hate is Dart is a awful language :frowning:

Made this in a couple of minutes. Instant reloading, no xml to write :slight_smile:

5 Likes

very good idea!

1 Like

ill hop in the discord later tonight and screenshare while i make some new shelf brackets in fusion 360.

im not at a teacher level yet but I can answer questions for newbies

3 Likes

(Off topic, flag me please!: so happy whenever see I see @LukeStrickland returning to Talk)

1 Like

Consider it done, but you can flag yourself, you know…

PS: me too. Love it when he takes the time to chuck a bit o’ something our way…

1 Like

I’m starting a weekly event, DMS Coder Night: Talk Post

1 Like