Carienn Day, maker, artist and friend

Oh no! I’m so sad to hear of this. My love and light to her friends and family.

8 Likes

I am trully saddened by this news. Carienn was a true maker, a great teacher and a awesome friend to so many. She struggled to teach with her poor eyesight and limited travel abilities, but she taught many classes in spite of her difficulties. I know I took several.

She will be greatly missed as she was so well loved by so many. My prayers are for her family and friends,

8 Likes

Wow. Just Wow. She was an awesome and very smart person to talk to and chat with, even though it was sometimes an adventure interpreting the written word. She had a great sense of humor about that text to speech mangling.

She had a lot of health issues, but loved coming up to DMS. I think we were like a second family for her where she could come up, be herself, and just enjoy things and the conversations.

10 Likes

Cairenn, on two separate occasions, taught me classes alone when I really wanted to learn something but my schedule just wasn’t working.

So creative. So smart. She always had something interesting to talk about, and lordy, could she talk. A lifetime of experiences she would share with anyone who would listen.

Such a neat lady. So giving of her time and expertise and inspiration.

These are a few of the pieces she helped and inspired me to create, and every time I decide to wrap layers of beads around something, I’ll call it "squid’s heart"ing it.

21 Likes

Carienn was a maker’s maker. Always willing to share her knowledge to help you getting started. So sad to hear of her passing, she was a very kind soul!

10 Likes

I will truly miss having to slow down while reading her post to figure out what she meant from what speech-to-text created. It was a great exercise in patience, and creative thinking. She was such a kind soul, and so creative. I truly missed out by never making it to one of her jewelry classes. Rest easy, Carienn!

4 Likes

OMG! What sad news. I have taken several classes with her, most recently just a few weeks ago. She was always patient and willing to share her knowledge and skill in jewelry making. She will definitely be missed at the space.

3 Likes

Very sad to read this news :frowning:
She was an Inspiration! She didn’t allow disability or failing eyesight keep her from participating at the place she loved. May she rest gently among the stars

6 Likes

This is a great tribute to Carienn’s legacy. If others have photos of jewelry they made from her classes and photos of the class, if you could post them here I can’t think of a better tribute to her.

8 Likes

Peapod necklaces made in @Cairenn_Day s class.

13 Likes

A bolo tie made from the living fossil ceramics class Carienn taught us.

10 Likes

I think of these as her Trademark piece of jewelry. I always thought they had an elegant look to them. I wonder if I can find the ear rings I made in her class? I can’t say that I ever wore them, but was proud they came out as well as they did given my strong lack of artistic skill.

3 Likes

These peapods are wonderful! What a terrific class that must have been!

3 Likes

Today would have been Cairenn Day’s 71st birthday. Happy Birthday Cairenn, may you still be teaching all your craft.

18 Likes

I am hoping to arrange a memorial for Cairenn at the space, hopefully sometime in august. We are trying to get her estate wound up, but it is a mess, both physically and legally. Details when I have them. There will probably be some pieces of her jewelry or some of her stones for people who want a memento. I will attempt to teach some of her classes as I can, but there are some only she could teach. I still expect to hear her on the phone telling me about her day. I will miss her.

15 Likes

I’m sooooo sorry for your loss Sue. You were the first person I thought about when I saw this on here. My heart breaks for your loss. :cry: I’ll will definitely keep my eyes open on Talk so I can attend the memorial whenever it is held. :broken_heart:

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Remembering Carienn Day - Maker, Artist, and Friend

I finally got my MW Word of the Day working (is it ironic that the institution I work for appears to be blocking this? Hm. Off to WM to check the meaning of “irony”…) and today’s word is “debunk”.
I think if you knew Carienn, you know why I’ve posted this.

5 Likes

So that is Cairenn Day Day?

I remember her as one of the members who would talk about all kinds of things deep into the night.

She was the one who got me to teach for the first time. We were talking about how few members used the computerized tools and concluded that the difficulty getting an idea from the mind into the computer was the missing link. So I put together my first Inkscape class.

5 Likes

I recall taking that class, I think. “2D Drawing for the Absolute Beginner” or something very much like that. I thought it was a great idea then, and still is today (have you thought about holding it again?). I feel like I should have known Carienn was the impetus…

4 Likes