Cardboard Boat Regatta 2020

@Team_PR who would I have to talk to to get the ball rolling on a SIG for this? And if this Doesn’t fit under PR, wht group would you suggest?

Also, who wants to do this for DMS, whether or not we can get a SIG going

Went to this. My feeder school builds one every year it’s a huge deal and absolutely fun. I have more photos of all the different boats. Ill search them out.

52%20PM 51%20PM 06%20PM 11%20PM 39%20PM

2 Likes

While I would love to promote the heck out of this, not sure cardboard boat builders would garner a whole lot of interest year round to justify a SIG (under any committee). But you don’t HAVE to be a SIG for a group to get together and work on a project.

2 Likes

I’m mostly trying to get a SIG as a way to get funds for the big cardboard sheets that make building the boats MUUUCH easier

SIGS don’t have money.

but they can request a budget from the group (not sure if that is the right term?) that they are organized under

for reference, a five pack of 60"x96" cost about $40 at office depot
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/733982/Office-Depot-Brand-Corrugated-Sheets-60/;jsessionid=0000o4Ld668GxoLK_jAqPEwbtBP:17h4h78ta

My teacher friend said it costs about $200 worth of urethane and the cardboard sheets he gets for free from Winco.
I think you make a donation to the organization to participate.

there is like a $40 fee to enter your boat

also, WINCO!? offers these sheets for free? the one near my place won’t let people touch their cardboard

They can request from their host group, take up a collection, or write up a proposal and submit to the board for funds from general fund. Not being a SIG only cuts out one of those three options.

Or you can get a kit for $150.

1 Like

I checked the entry fee, and it depends on the size of boat you enter
the build on site entry fee is the $40 one i was thinking of

do you really think that DMS should just… buy a pre-made kit? That’s like suggesting that someone from woodshop should just shop at IKEA. Technically correct, but also no

Is there a proper form for writing up a proposal? If so, where on the wiki would I find it?

1 Like

FYI, according to one review the cardboard sheets from Office Depot are shipped folded in thirds.

EDIT: We can order 4’ x 8’ sheets from ULine for $3.96 each, minimum of 10. https://www.uline.com/BL_1851/Large-Corrugated-Pads

I think it would be a better fit for a group of individuals who want to do this as a personal project and pool money.

1 Like

the folding shouldn’t effect how they work on the boat too much

I think that buying a kit is the lowest price point to try this and gain support for more people to join in in the future. And no, I wouldn’t tell someone from woodshop to shop at ikea, but I also don’t expect that just because someone knows how to sew, that they can or want to create an elaborate wedding dress.

Depends if you want structural stability or an epic burial at sea.

2 Likes

i’m good with either. acutally, if we plan for epic destruction, maybe we can make it super epic! have some CO2 capsules in the frame, and rig them go go off when we go under. Really tear that thing apart

You clearly haven’t met @Know

3 Likes

I actually have not; but i look forward to meeting them