Carbon fiber filament

Hello,

I was curious if anyone has attempted to use a carbon fiber filament on the printer or are they even capable of using such filament.

Any printer can print with carbon fiber infused filament but frankly most carbon fiber infused filaments are terrible. Lookup the reviews and you’ll see most are worse than traditional filaments in terms of strength. They also trash the nozzles because the carbon fibers are very abrasive.

I looked up reviews and seen great reviews for PA6+CF has outstanding reviews. I know that’ll trash the nozzles and they recommend a hardend steel nozzles to help with longevity. I need a filament that can withstand engine bay temps.

The carbon fiber won’t matter because the nylon can melt. Polycarbonate will withstand heat far better than nylon and it doesn’t tear up nozzles. If nylon is okay temperature wise then you could use ABS because it’s as heat resistant as nylon. Higher than polycarbonate and you get into specialized equipment (like PEEK).

You might use the FLIR camera to find out exactly what temperatures you’re needing to withstand. Like drive around for a bit then pop the hood and check right then. That’ll tell you exactly what filaments will work or not.

1 Like

The rostock max v3.2 (tall delta in 3D fab) has a stainless nozzle so it should be able to print it. It will absorb moisture as it prints so it’s a good idea to dehydrate it first and keep it sealed as it prints somehow. Unfortunately, I tried for hours to fix an issue where the extruder is skipping but you can try it. Just make sure you purge the nozzle afterwards with some PLA We have Simplify3D on at least one of the computers https://seemecnc.dozuki.com/Guide/Setting+Up+Simplify+3D/76?lang=en

oh and Nylon likes to stick to (elmers) glue stick on glass

2 Likes

Great idea on the FLIR, would you happen to know where it’s stored?

There’s a FLIR E4 camera in the ELab. It’s in a black case in one of the roil around cabinets to your left as you enter the ELab. Think it’s in the 2nd cab from the corner.
There’s also a Fluke IR Thermometer. Not sure but probably in the same cab.
Tool wiki has links to manuals -
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Tools#Electronics

1 Like

Thank you all for responses!! I really do appreciate all your knowledge that you shared with me.

1 Like

I’ve added a task to the 3D Fab Trello to investigate updating and installing it on more.