Carbide tools for steel available on HAAS

I have added 5 new Carbide tools to the HAAS and tools library as follows:
Slot 10 - 1/2" Roughing Endmill
Slot 11 - 1/2" Finish (2 flute so not really)
Slot 12 - 1/4" Finish (2 flute so not really)
Slot 13 - 1/8 Finish
Slot 14 - 3/8" Spot Drill

The carbide tools should be used for Steel ONLY. I have set some conservative feeds and speeds for stainless but should work for other steels. IF, BIG IF, you know what you’re doing you can adjust these numbers for your project. If you’re just guessing - STOP. use the defaults. These guys are expensive so better that you use/break one of the HHS end mills in slots 3-8.

The above ‘finish’ bits are 2 flute but a 3 flute would have been better for finishing. i thought that was what I specified but that may not have been picked up when the cheaper brand was substituted. these will still work since the chipload is set small.

the 10 carbide spot drills may have been a mistake. I thought we wanted 10 center drill sets which are inexpensive. we should see if we can send these back and get center drills. these extra 9 spot drills will otherwise last the rest of our DMS lives.

The Fusion 360 library has been updated to include the new carbide bits. It is in the HAAS Training directory of the machine shop committee and is named DMS Carbide Libarary.tools

2 Likes

More tooling on the way from MSC Direct.
Think there are 4 flute end mills in it
!@#%&* tracking links aren’t cooperating.
Guessing eta is early next week.

1 Like

not a problem. if the kenmetal ones come in, we simply need to swap them. The library is setup.

Kenmetal was the first batch if I’m not mistaken. @EthanWestern do you remember?

No first batch was maritool, Kenmetals are still on the way from msc

Ahh, yep my memory is going down hill.

Looks like at least 1(of 2) has arrived today.
Left on dock.
fyi - has my name on it.

There were several items that came in today.
The de-buring tools came in, I put one in the HAAS toolbox, Bridgeport cabinet & one of the other toolboxes (don’t remember which one)

the shell mills, some of the Kinmetal 4 flute endmills

excellent. the deburr tools are especially welcome. I’ll be up in a couple of days to swap tools with the kenmetals.

According to tracking numbers 1 pkg arrived ~11:30a and left at dock.
2nd pkg arrived ~4:30p left at ofc.
Can someone verfy all the MSC Direct parts came in?

The face mill inserts, Wd-40 & one other came up front. Another MSC came in the back