Can video software help me read a license plate?

So yesterday I got attacked/vandalized by another car as we were driving in Southlake. I was on my way to Costco and heard a thud hit my car. Luckily, it’s a Tesla and I have a bunch of cameras that recorded everything. I’m having a hard time reading the license plate of the car though. It was at twilight, so the video is a little dark at some angles. I want to do a police report and having a license plate would really help.

Is there a video software (or does someone have it) that can help me get the license plate and pictures of their faces (it’s 2 people)?

It’s 4 separate videos (from each camera), but I quickly edited this together to share my frustration on my Facebook. I have all 4 separate videos ready to share if someone here can help me.

https://youtu.be/xxu0PND8QM8

https://www.google.com/search?q=video+license+plate+reading+software

I don’t think you’re understanding what I’m looking for. Kind of like how Lightroom can be used to adjust the levels on a photograph to make things come to life that were hidden, I need that for the videos. I need the levels adjusted to make the license plate and faces easier to see and read. I don’t need something that will automatically read a license plate. I can do that myself once the levels in the videos are adjusted. I just don’t have software that does that or know how to do it to a video. I’m not even sure what software to use or if we have access to it as a makerspace member.

Does that help clarify things?

You might be able to use DaVinci Resolve to lighten an area, I’m sure there are other software’s out there that will do it too.

Im working myself on editing video with some over exposure. Thats why I know you can change the underexposed areas & over exposed. However you may not get the data you want.

2 Likes

@Adam_Oas may be able to recommend something he knows a ton about editing software.

2 Likes

I’d be interested in seeing the raw video. AFAIK YouTube compresses the video (and has been doing that to a greater extent during lockdown to help bandwidth. Your original video likely contains better detail.

Just sent you a message with the videos.

I bet if you provide the video to your insurance company, they get it read since they’ll go after them.

2 Likes

I don’t do video editing - yet, so not familiar with what tools are available in the editors.
Photo editors offer a wide range of techniques.
For the tag, pull the best single frame and export to photo editor.
Try basic curves first.
Not good enough - try hi pass filter. Think contrast / saturation on steroids.
These tools are in Photoshop which you can access on the jump srvr.
Remember your goal is legibility, not quality or color accuracy.

Hope you find the hit and run clowns.

Yes your are looking for AI upscaling, there are machine learning software now than can in some cases improve quality of a blurry picture or video.

Do you have picture or short video clip?

2 Likes

I’m downloading some AI powered enhancement software right now. Should be interesting.

1 Like

It wasn’t rocks. Not sure what the driver threw, but the passenger threw a cup full of orange liquid. It was a very thick substance too. Got everywhere on the passenger door/window. Not sure what hit my wheel area.

It was very deliberate! I didn’t even know they were there or what happened until I watched the video. I was completely oblivious to them because they stayed in my blind spot until the very last second so I couldn’t follow them. That’s why I want to get their license plate and do a Police report.

1 Like

File the police report ASAP. Add the license plate later.

They may already have another similar complaint that they know the plate from and can match just the car

2 Likes

YouTube will compress the video again. Can you share the original on a file sharing website (Google Drive or similar)? After Effects is probably the best option. Blender, Natron, and other open source tools could help too.

1 Like

I am intrigued to try but I am with Luke can you share the raw video prior to any editing looking for the highest quality source.

She shared the original with me and it’s much better than the YouTube, but still basically unreadable. I’m still waiting for the results of a cloud-base enhancement job I started. I suspect that software that merges frames and does some AI magic will figure this out. And then I’ll have a friend run their tag.

@lukeiamyourfather & @Robert_Davidson I can message you the link to the 4 original videos. I just don’t want to post a link in such a public forum. I don’t mind messaging the link though.

The best chance of an enhancement is going the be when they passed you on the left. I can almost make it out in that part of that video.