Can this part be made for less than $24?

Is someone willing to make this part for the Leathercrafting SIG?

In the Creative Arts / Leatherworking cabinet we have two Strap Cutters. This piece is missing from one of the two strap cutters. A new strap cutter costs $24. While a small block of wood might work for a time, I’d prefer a metal replacement piece. The replacement part doesn’t even need to be exactly the same size. There is easily a 1/8" variation that would work on the width. It does not need to be as thick either, it need only be thick enough to have a hole for the bolt, that pushes against it so it stays centered. The actual part is threaded, the replacement part does not need to be.

Any takers? I can provide better measurements if a volunteer has the skill and inclination to help us out.

This is a strap cutter

This is where the part goes

This is what the part looks like from a few different angles.

1 Like

Yes, it can, just need the dimensions.

1 Like

Here are the measurements.

• 28mm wide
  • 7.5mm thick
  • 9mm wide hole (large enough for the bolt to go in unthreaded)

1 Like

FWIW, the round part doesn’t even need to be round, just smooth enough someone wouldn’t snag themselves on the edges.

The functionality is a flat bar that presses down on the split wooden bar to hold it in place.

Clamping pressure is provided by the thumbscrew which fits into a depression on the top to keep from sliding apart. The depression is not threaded, just a flat-bottomed hole.

2 Likes

Follow up question:

Would anyone like to volunteer to make this part?

1 Like

One could also cut a square piece of bar stock, round the edges, and drill a small hole in the top side. Likely doesn’t need the precision of a lathe or milling machine.

I’ll dig around in the metal scrap bin to see if I can find something tonight. It will take longer to find material than make it. (I’ll make an extra while I’m at it)

If someone else has time before I do, go ahead.

1 Like

That would be great. And you are right, it’s really just a small plate that the bolt applies pressure to. I piece of hardwood would work, but having a metal replacement piece would be better.

I think this flat square piece will work: it fits my Tandy strap cutter.

I’ll bring it to DMS on Sunday. I’ll make three so we can have spares.

4 Likes

That’d be great!!! !

FWIW, I like the square one better than the round one that came with it: it’s easier to hold in place during assembly of the tool. I’ll be making at least one extra for me, assuming I have enough scrap.