Can not create a membership

Hello, my partners and I are trying to create a membership with DMS. We can not create an account because the username value keeps returning as invalid. We have tried 8 different usernames and on multiple computers. Nothing is working.

Additionally when I try the contact us field. It keeps returning an unknown error.

We wanted to take the ceramics 100 class. But we can not if we can not create an account.

Who do we contact if the contact field isn’t working?

@Team_Infrastructure who is available that has WHMCS access?

@Abrandon to clarify, you are going through the sign up process here correct? https://dallasmakerspace.org/join/

Can you provide a screenshot of the setup? A sample username?

-Jim

@FreddyCalvert
@StanSimmons
I confirmed an error in the contact us form. It’s generic so someone will have to pull the exact error from the backend.

I’d need to see a screenshot of the username fields to figure that one out.

Here is our username. It is more than three letters and has no special characters

Here is some of the other usernames we tried

out of curiosity, did you try any that are all lowercase?

It could be a lack of explanation on the field, but I recall it might be picky about capital letters in usernames

Yes we tried all lowercase, all uppercase, camel case, snake case, kebab.

So we got it figured out on one of our phones?

But, that is weird

Can you clarify what it might have been if you figured it out? Otherwise it’s us digging through logs trying to find the source of the problem.

The more feedback the better

We did everything the exact same information but the difference was we used a phone and a credit card instead of a debit card.

hmmmm

that shouldn’t make a difference in the registration process. Sounds like a service may have briefly been down.

Here is hoping for new members it was just a temporary service lost.

But, that is what worked for us was using our phones instead of a computer?

Thanks, for taking the time to respond I appreciate it

1 Like

Odd, but then again most software and operational bugs are

No problem; if you update your Talk profile with your DMS username, or PM it to me, we can get you the “green dot” that shows you as an active member, and access to the members only areas of Talk.

Cheers,
-Jim

2 Likes

Final question.

We did a family add-on.

How do we register the other two for events?

I’m not personally familiar with the add-on account process, but they will have their own username etc.

@StanSimmons or @yashsedai are either of you online and able to chime in? (might be too early for the two of them)

If it’s the ceramics class this morning it looks like space is available but time to resolve the issue is short, so the instructor can probably accommodate them in the class if you ask. Once the account is sorted out we can manually add the member in question to the ceramics’ training group so it’s documented they took the class.

1 Like

The primary member adds the other folks in MakerManager. If you’re at the main webpage, there’s a dropdown button in small print up in the top right corner. 2nd item is MakerManager/Badges, but it’s the full MM and you can add your people there.

2 Likes

Due to some weirdness in the interconnection of our various systems, usernames must be between 6 and 12 characters and can not be uppercase or have an underscore.

To add a Family Member to a standard account, please go to https://accounts.dallasmakerspace.org/makermanager/billing/ and log in. Once there, click on Services > View Available Addons. This page will let you add up to four family addons. This will automatically bill your card on the anniversary date of when you added the family member.

You will then need to go to https://accounts.dallasmakerspace.org/makermanager/ to create the individual family member usernames, passwords and RFIDs.

1 Like

I think I see your problem with membership… Well A problem. I ran into the exact same issues when I wanted to gift my brother a membership. I followed the instructions to a “T” and had the same issues with the username. I got frustrated and only continued trying because I really needed to do this. I haven’t yet asked my brother if he has received an email and created his own profile but that is not the point. A smooth process is an indication of a well run organization. I may have that attitude because I’m old and getting more intolerant. (You know… “In MY day… you had to make sure everything was perfect for the customer or else… blah, blah, blah You kids these days…” ) However it IS true that if something goes wrong with a purchase checkout I may just cancel the entire process and I HAVE done that on many occasions. As a rule, if someone is trying to give you MONEY… it should be the easiest thing in the world… Just adding my $.02 If we want to grow the membership, it should at least be easy to join.

1 Like

@Team_VCC it looks like this line of code needs to be updated ASAP.
I’d be happy to submit a pull request but that’s a lot of process for such a simple change.

It should at least say “usernames must be between 6 and 12 characters and can not be uppercase or have an underscore” but might also add the list of acceptable characters and symbols, limits on initial character, etc. as appropriate.

4 Likes

By all means please do submit a pull request. We’ll get that tested and pulled into release review asap.

1 Like