Can my son attend me taking the screen printing class?

Hello! @Print_Witch

My son that’s 10 is quite the maker and wants to learn the screen printing process. I see there’s a “ SCREEN PRINTING - Making and exposing photostencil screens” class this Wednesday and is for 16+. If I take the class, can he attend and do some with me?

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/12465

1 Like

Astrud doesn’t get on Talk all that often, but @Hardsuit might be able to ask her.

1 Like

I’m not going to speak for the teacher since liability is in them and I don’t know what they buy specifically. I will say that not allowing people under 16 is sometimes about the OSHA standards for the involved chemicals and not then maturity or lack of interest by our little makers. The chem I have at work cannot be used by anyone under 13.

Thanks for sharing. So if I handled all the chemicals, is there other stuff a kids could do?

The other night another person asked Astrud about age requirements and she was pretty firm about it. She has offered kid classes in the past.

I’ll double check on her opinion. I’m leaning towards it being ok if you are both there together the entire time, and since I’ll be the one actually teaching that evening (Astrud just got a new job, and will be going out of state for training that week) I would plan on bringing him along.

8 Likes

One of them will definitely get back to you! I just thought I’d throw that out there in case if was a no so you didn’t think we hated children :joy:

Oh yay! Thank you
Yeah, I’ll do everything unless there are safe things for him. We walked all over the Makerspace and that was the one thing he was interested most in learning.

Well my son is running a fever and pretty out of it, so we need to back out of today’s class. Thank you again @Hardsuit for your support and finding a way to make it happen! I’ll be looking out for the next class. And thank you @BarkingChicken, @MrsMoose and @Edenblue for chiming in.

Family first my friend. The class will happen again in the future.

Thanks for letting the teacher know. Pretty sure they appreciate it! I always do. Speedy recovery