Can I make a gun case for my gun?

The answer is yes. I had planned to do a pistol case class for Hatcher’s but now that I am not participating in this broken ‘community’ that won’t be happening

1 Like

I’m sorry you feel that way. We are in a trying time but we will persevere and get through it. It is time to look to what we want rather than what we don’t. There are lots of people that would very much enjoy a pistol case class or holster class. Don’t deprive them just because a few are upset…

2 Likes

You can’t help but wonder how awry things have gone when this type of question needs to be asked. :cry:

2 Likes

It is the same people every time. Past so-called leaders who contribute nothing positive and who now only work towards tearing people down. I leave it to them to step up and offer a class like this (or any for that matter). Me - I’m out. I’m just a customer now.
I stand with @Kriskat30. She is the president DMs needs but not the one DMS presently deserves. DMs deserves one of the naysayers who will end up tearing this place and the doors shutting.

1 Like

I do wish that they wouldn’t cause so much drama. They are not the ones in charge but they can still contribute good things and harmony to the place instead of ripping at the current leadership. I stand with @Kriskat30 as well. But more importantly I stand with @DMS

1 Like

I’m starting to get confused by all the gun threads so I’d just like to throw one real world example out there as I currently understand it.

I have what looks like a rifle but is technically a silenced 300 blk out PISTOL. Also I have my CHL which allows me open or concealed carry of pistols. From what I understand I could bring it to the space and work on making a gun case like Josh even if its fully loaded. Attached is a picture of it but I see it violating no law or MS rule.

Am I correct?

1 Like

NO. A concealed or open carry weapon should never be unholstered unless you intend to use it. A loaded weapon should be treated with the utmost respect and not fitted in and out of a case repeatedly. That weapon should be unloaded and not one you are open or conceal carrying.

There are two problems… One - unholstering your loaded weapon could be considered brandishing. Two - it’s very unsafe to work with a loaded weapon. Either way it’s very bad.

3 Likes

As long as your “handgun” is in a belt or shoulder holster and never leaves it. If you are confused on the laws surrounding your LTC and where it applies, please read the following.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/LTC/

OK, so no because of brandishing?
Basically switching it from case to outside case or off my side while working.
Just FYI I would never do it loaded.

I could carry it all day long but the second I take it and put it in the case would be the problem?
Wouldn’t that just be a form of holdstering

1 Like

There is no law in Texas about “brandishing” a firearm/weapon. There are requirements for open/concealed carry, but these govern how you can have a handgun on your person when in public. A firearm being placed into a case for test fitting at the makerspace is no different (legally) than the same thing at a gun store or range.

Yes and No. It’s defined under TITLE 9. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND DECENCY PC §42.01(a)(8) states “displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm”

That is open to interpretation and at a gun store or range nobody would consider it alarming if you pulled a gun out of a case. DMS is a bit different as firearms are not its primary focus.

DMS is not a public place.

1 Like

On Thursday evenings DMS is a public place.

People being alarmed by something and you doing something in a manner calculated to cause alarm are different though.

Someone could be alarmed by me sneezing (I sneeze loudly), but that doesn’t mean I was acting in a calculated manner to cause alarm.

2 Likes

I agree and why I said it is left open to interpretation. Could the police be called out because someone was alarmed, yes. Could the police determine you were not trying to cause alarm, yes. Could they also decide that you did cause alarm and arrest you for the courts to decide if you were acting in a a manner calculated to cause alarm, absolutely.

So basically yes its OK with MS. But, cops can be dicks if they want to be which is always the case with any law.

1 Like

You’re totally missing the part of his question where the weapon he was test fitting was loaded. You’d get yourself banned from any sane gun store test fitting a carry weapon with live ammo in it.

Actually I’m saying I’d never do that. But I’m also saying I could do it if I wanted to and still be in compliance with MS and the law.

1 Like

OK, so here’s where I make a mental note that instead of operating in a safe, sane manner, you’re going to be one of those members who will push the rules and force people to always look over their shoulder to see if someone else is doing something stupid in Hatcher’s.

This is the kind of stuff that makes people very nervous about weapons at the space anyway and gives them fear that pushes the board to do things like make very punitive rules to limit what can be done by Hatcher’s members. We’re going to end up having more restrictions and unwanted attention.

Let’s just invite all of the board members to read through this thread and see people wanting to do unsafe stuff “because they can” and “because the rules don’t say not to” instead of using their head and using common sense gun safety. That’s exactly what we don’t need and what we are going to get.

1 Like

While it is not against our current rules, we ask that you do not unholster a legally carried loaded weapon unnecessarily or bring in a unholstered loaded weapon into DMS. Long guns are permitted to be brought in but bringing it in loaded is just asking for the rules to be changed to not allow guns at all. We are at a crossroads to I hope more permissive and accepting rules. This doesn’t help our cause at all. I strongly suggest that you reconsider at the current point.

1 Like