Can I make a gun case for my gun?

Just want to make sure: can I make a gun case for my gun? Is that OK?

It looks like if it “attaches” to the gun in any way except using the sling mounts the answer is no.

Maybe put a strap in the case so you can run it through the sling mount on the firearm and then exemption 2 would apply?

2 Likes

You should, as that’s not a mechanical action on the gun. However, to keep things nice and no accidentally freak anyone out, here’s my suggestion: Get some cardboard and do a rough silhouette of the profile, then start making the case with that. Refine the final fit at home.

Or if there’s an Airsoft version of the particular firearm, use that to fit the case. Depending on where you live, you could probably borrow one from a neighborhood kid - check Facebook neighborhood pages and/or NextDoor.

This isn’t an attachment of any kind; the rules as is are to prevent ATF from construing any form of gunsmithing from occurring here.

Unless this case is to hold a gun disassembled, then it would be a slightly different story but you can have it pre-disassembled and keep it that way

I know, but the rules state:

"Included in this definition [of a firearm, and thereby banned at DMS] are all components that attach to a firearm to unless specifically exempted. "

So, if someone could say that they case attached to the firearm, he could be banned permanently from DMS.

I just said, it can’t attach, and if it does, then it’s forbidden per policy.

1 Like

@hon1nbo, While your statement is legally correct out side of DMS, please take a look at the internal rules of DMS around firearms that @malcolmputer posted. They are obtuse and ban many practices which are legal.

@Josh_Melnick, I would advise you to also read the rules listed by Malcolm. I would make sure you can defend your project based on those rules before doing it at DMS. While I would find it comical to go after a member for making a gun case at DMS, I wouldn’t say it is out of the realm of possibility based on the rules.

2 Likes

A case doesn’t attach and that splitting hairs bit is one that would be thrown out.

A silencer attaches. A stock attaches. A scope attaches. A case doesn’t attach.

1 Like

My statement was made with that as the basis, not based on outside DMS (where even mechanical work would be ok). This isn’t work on the gun itself nor an attachment.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I agree as well, but I wouldn’t stake my membership on it. People at DMS seem to get a bit funny about such things.

If it’s what I have in my mind as being a gun case (some wooden box with a cutout for a specific firearm) then I think he’d be fine, but if it’s ever so slightly different (like say a holster) and someone could construe it as an attaching case, then he’d be in trouble.

1 Like

You can make a holster in leather classes, but I’d recommend one of those rubber/plastic guns that are the same size/shape instead of bringing a pistol. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It really based on the design of the Gun Case. I’ve been looking into old western style cases for lever action rifles that stay attached to the rifle while shooting.

Well if we’re talking esoteric, the ones with remote triggers in the handle will be out too. :slight_smile:

In general I feel I should note that the rules explicitly state they do not affect one’s lawful right to carry a firearm under texas law, which includes cased firearms of all types (as well as uncased long guns, and holstered handguns)

This is a situation I can think of the rules applying, in which it would require removing the stock from the rifle prior to entering DMS and working on that separately, fitting the components back together at home.

1 Like

Well that’s getting into AOW (NFA / Title II) territory anyway, and causes its own issues :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes you can make a gun case at DMS … uou can also bring up your firearm and clean it … or test fit it in the case or holster . What you cannot do modify or change out parts on the firearm. Also I would leave your ammo out of DMS unless it is your LTC carry weapon in which we ask that you don’t unholdster it unless nessissary.

1 Like

There is still some confusion on cleaning in certain cases, since there is not a specific exception and some guns require some disassembly to clean properly (unpinning AR uppers and removing bolts), where as others can simply be swabbed (break actions).

So to re-cap, you have some “maybe’s”, some “yes’s”, and some “I wouldn’t’s”, but I didn’t see any “no’s”.

I wish the policy was more clear, but if you are like me and a few other people at DMS I would just rather take my gun maker-ing elsewhere as sad as that is.

As far as the rules, I have asked three board members about cleaning and all of them don’t have a problem with it. It is known that it will require some disassembly to clean it. As long as it remains unmodified it is okay. Just don’t bring in ammo or change out any parts.

1 Like

oh I agree, and all the BoD I have spoken with aren’t worried about it. It’s more along the lines of Nick’s concerns, which is that without a specific exception some people don’t want to risk it in case someone has a change of opinion.