Can anyone help bevel edges of a 3d model?

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been trying to model some extrusion dies but have been running into trouble with beveling/chamfering the edges. Can anyone help? I’ve been banging my head against the wall way too long.

Below is a link to the file, though, I would really appreciate some help understanding why this won’t work the same way as the numerous YouTube videos and help guides.

Thanks!
Michael

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/66765ede7a59b577ae218e8c/w/82ab4df21e6f0d46413ea197/e/cd917abd7610aedf05116268

I can do it with MeshMixer.

Thanks! Do you mind? If it works I’d love to see how you did it.

Thanks! Michael

Export your design to an .stl file.
Load it into MeshMixer.
Go to Edit and make it solid.
Go to Meshmix and select the cone shape
and drag it to the right.
Got to edit and select align. Align it center point , World Origin / Y-up.
Go to Edit and select Transform.
Make sure the Uniform Scaling box is checked and increase the scaling a little… 1.2x will do.
Uncheck the Uniform Scaling box and change the Size Y to get the angle that you need.
Move the cone down until you see the bottom edge of your design and accept the changes to the cone.
Select your design by clicking on it in the object browser window. It should be the one that has (solid) in it’s name.
Hold down the control key and click on the Mesh object in the object browser window.
Select Boolean Intersection on the popup menu.
If the result is blue with red on the sides, export it to a new .stl file, otherwise, adjust the position of the cone and try it again.

1 Like

Hi @randomgee, thank you for the detailed post! unfortunately MeshMixer won’t install on my computer :frowning:. Would it be possible for you to help bevel this one file?

Thank you,
Michael

Like this?

Randy

wizlog
June 25

Hi @randomgee, thank you for the detailed post! unfortunately MeshMixer won’t install on my computer :frowning:. Would it be possible for you to help bevel this one file?

Thank you,
Michael

(Attachment test1.stl is missing)

I can’t attach a .stl to this email. Do you have a regular email address I can send it to?

Randy

wizlog
June 25

Thank you,
Michael

I don’t get it. This would be basically a single-click operation in Solidworks.

Thanks! [email protected]