Call for volunteers - Cub Scout Pinewood Derby

I also have a desktop drill press that I can bring in, should we need one.

DD

Thank you for volunteering!

No need for the drill press, I don’t think. I initially asked for volunteers to know how to use the drill press, thinking that some of these cuts might get tricky. The templates that I will be providing work great on the bandsaw and scroll saw because they don’t have sharp angles.

1 Like

I can help out with the cars if needed I have around 20 patterns and 10+ years helping the scouts.

2 Likes

I would love to have your experience and expertise

I want to remind all the volunteers to meet up at the workshop area at 1PM on Dec 18th. The kids are really looking forward to this, so thank you all for making a difference in their lives!!!

For convenience, here is the schedule from the initial post:

1:00 to 2:00 - Volunteers meet up and discuss what is needed and how best to tackle each task
2:00 to 2:15 - Waiver and safety talk for the scouts & parents
2:15 to 2:30 - Ask the scouts to design what cars they want to cut out
2:30 to 2:45 - Visit the woodshop and start the work
2:45 to 3:00 - Ask the scouts & parents to leave, while the volunteers keep cutting, the rest of the pack can go through the tour of the facilities
3:00 to 4:00 - Scouts return from the tour and they can apply any finishing touches that they want (stickers, paint, sanding, attach wheel, test out the cars)

1 Like

Due to the lengthy and inconvenient construction detour, you might consider having a “how to get out of here” map for the scout parents …

1 Like

Not a bad idea, good sir.

1 Like

John Marlow, is actually not a guy but a lady named Chris. An easy and often made mistake. She’s an absolutely amazing artist and you should get to know her. Check out here:

3 Likes

@John_Marlow , My apologies for assuming that you were a guy. BTW, the Kitchen Diorama looks amazing!

2 Likes

FYI. John’s personal pronouns are “her”, “she” and “ma’am” due to the unusual pronunciation in a strange dialect (I suspect bastardized Cajun myself), sounds like “Chris”.

Actually, common mistake - there’s a story behind it. But the Sir is a Ma’am. Or, as I often just call her “John the Cat”.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t limit it to just Artist, Amazing in a lot of ways. A true Renaissance individual of puissance in a multitude of disciplines. As Dan said, if you have a chance get to know her.

2 Likes

Y’all still need volunteers? I’m certified for wood shop as well as laser if someone wants something etched.

I’d be coming from Rockwall that day so might be a little late though dependent on traffic.

I’ll PM you, thanks!

Thank you all so much for letting us use your space and helping everyone shape their cars. Shout out to Doyle, Dan, Julie, and the gentleman who is a troop leader and brought his own stash of cars and patterns (I am sorry, I am bad with names)

8 Likes

@jbrown885 was the guy who brought all of the patterns, cars and expertise. Thanks very much Joe.
Here are a couple more pics for the event. It was a great event and the scouts had a great time. One mom told me that we saved her a great deal of anxiety by helping her scout get their car built.

I know @DigitalDoyle and I had a great time cutting all of the cars out. Here’s a couple of more pics of the scouts and the crew. Thanks @cwai2007 for inviting us to help. I enjoyed the experience very much.

10 Likes

Some of these kids were going to shape their cars with p2500 sandpaper.

The kids got to see how professionals did woodworking, and all of the parents were impressed. I hope DMS got a few new members just now.

2 Likes

I know @Julie-Harris signed up at least one parent.

4 Likes

Actual feedback from a parent, again, thank you all volunteering to help us out. I am in awe of the generosity in this place.

11 Likes

Had a great time with the kids and parents. Some of the designs were pretty challenging and the bandsaws worked great (thanks much to The Maintainers!). Was an honor to participate. Thanks for the opportunity!

DD

10 Likes

Thank YOU! The crew of volunteers working that event yesterday did such a great job. I had parents coming up to me raving about how much they and the kids appreciated it.

6 Likes