Calendar Waiting List

Not sure if everyone read the idea on a waiting list with the calendar, so I’m reposting it.

To create a waiting list, duplicate your event to another calendar event during the same time, maybe taking place in a different room. Clearly title the calendar event a WAITING LIST, and document that inside the course details, so students are not confused.

You can then use this waiting list for determining demand or having a pool of qualified applicants ready to go if someone drops the class. I wouldn’t expect everyone to use this, maybe just committees who want to understand how many students they are not serving?

Here’s an example:

4 Likes

This is a problem because that room is now booked for that time slot.

1 Like

Common Room? Workshop? Certain rooms allow unlimited bookings.

4 Likes

Ah, that’s new information for me, I’ve only ever booked things in class rooms. My bad. Now I love this idea.

3 Likes

Maybe use “Offsite”? I don’t know if more than one class can use that resource at a time?

1 Like

Any of these allow for unlimited conflicting bookings

4 Likes

I wanted to read that specific “waiting list” posting, but I can’t find it …

This is a clever idea but the expectations of people who sign onto the “wait list” have to be clearly managed. Perhaps it should be called something like “Future demand” instead of “wait list”.

People on the “wait list” won’t automatically be promoted into empty spaces on the current class. They won’t automatically be enrolled into any future class. They don’t get any higher priority than someone who hasn’t signed up for the “wait list”. These are all expectations that using the phrase “wait list” entails.

2 Likes

The post is here: Regarding ROAST Classes and Their Availability (Req'd Opns & Safety Training)

All of the problems mentioned exist with a coded software solution also.

2 Likes

Oops. My bad. I thought there was actually a “wait list” class on the calendar and that’s what I wanted to read. I just wanted to see the details of how it was set up, etc.

Yes, I agree with you.

1 Like

OH I misunderstood lol, I faked that waiting list class. I have no idea how it would actually work, and I don’t host classes with enough interested students :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe create a site called “Wait List” or is that too obvious or not elegant enough programming?

1 Like

The point here is that no programming is required, only utilization of the existing system.

3 Likes

True, creating a new room titled “Wait List” is programming.

1 Like

I miss the built in wait list functionality we had with some 3rd party options in the past. To be clear, I think that’s the only thing I miss, the current calendar is good for us. Isn’t this on the roadmap somewhere for Calendar?

1 Like

Isn’t this on the roadmap somewhare for Calendar?

Looking over our backlog it looks like there isn’t an item. If your wishing for us to work on such a feature then I suggest creating a new feature request and state your use case.

Does it still require getting a GitHub account and using GitHub to post requests?

Does it still require getting a GitHub account and using GitHub to post requests?

At this point yes. We’re working on few things to deploy our own internal gitlab so users can use their AD credentials. But the github project is the central point for where issues and features are tracked.

Well, that’s the reason I haven’t put anything in. I don’t use github and requiring github to be the submittal mechanism pretty much prevents me from being able to submit anything. :frowning:

EDIT: I know everyone working on it is a volunteer, so I would concede that it’s reasonable to make it easy for said volunteers.

2 Likes

EDIT: I know everyone working on it is a volunteer, so I would concede that it’s reasonable to make it easy for said volunteers.

While creating an account is very easy with github I do get where your coming from on that point and if one got to see the list of accounts I have in lastpass then one will know that feel your pain as well.

1 Like

Chris, I have Github, I’ll make the request, doing it now.

2 Likes