Calendar Feature Poll

When making a paid event, default the available spaces to the paid box and not the free box.

when duplicating an event, copy over the available spaces and cost.

when the available spaces box expands when paid event is selected (making paid spaces slot appear), put it above free spaces rather than below since it goes off screen depending on resolution and doesn’t appear readily.

Change “free spaces” to “non-paid spaces” when it is a paid event.

2 Likes

READ elsewhere and agreed with it.

12 is a better base number for humans. Not so sure about computers. The idea being 12 has more options for smaller pieces than 10 and result in whole numbers.

1/3 of 10 = 3.3334
1/3 of 12 = 4
1/4 of 10 = 2.5
1/4 of 12 = 3

Maybe a topic for the Philosophy SIG.

3 Likes

In our binary computers numbers that are powers of 2 are better …

1, 2, 4, 8, 16 …

:wink:

Exactly … but try to convince non-Moon Walkers a foot made up of 12 inches is better 10!

1 Like

The Babylonian system of mathematics was a sexagesimal (base 60) numeral system. From this we derive the modern day usage of 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, and 360 degrees in a circle. The Babylonians were able to make great advances in mathematics for two reasons. Firstly, the number 60 is a superior highly composite number, having factors of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 12, 15, 20, 30, 60 (including those that are themselves composite), facilitating calculations with fractions. Additionally, unlike the Egyptians and Romans, the Babylonians had a true place-value system, where digits written in the left column represented larger values (much as, in our base ten system, 734 = 7×100 + 3×10 + 4×1)

2 Likes

This is why I don’t put a lot of faith in “milestones”. If we all had cartoon character hands, we’d be using octal and we’d be more excited about 2048 users instead of an even 2000 :slight_smile:

Don’t you mean 4000 members? :wink:

1 Like

Nah, I’m too busy to lookup how to subscript an 8…

If I make a mistake in one item when I create a class, I have to cancel and create another class. For example, if I list a class a free, by mistake, but it should be listed as a paid class, it would be great to let me change it to paid, without canceling and creating a new one.

1 Like

I could see this if there where no registrations yet. Once someone is registered how should it handle it?

Is there a way to get a notification via email or text 24hr before the scheduled class so students can confirm they are coming or not?

Sometimes I forget what classes I’m taking and when, a reminder might help to prevent a lot of no shows.

1 Like

The system has the ability to send out reminders but it is turned off currently.
We might turn on reminders. I’m not certain about having to respond to them to stay signed up.
Perhaps make that an instructor option? Then they can text back or email back to respond.

There are other ways that might help as well with no-shows

• Providing a link to add it to your personal calendar (Google Calendar, etc)
  • Having a 3 strikes rule in place for no-shows, with the result that they can’t sign up for 30 days
  • Charging money for classes
  • Not allowing sign ups far in advance
  • Instructor communication with students signed up
  • Reminders sent out via Talk and Social media
  • Signs in the space
2 Likes

A link to add to calendar is what I’ve been wanting also! Please do that!

1 Like

If all the fields were editable while the class is still in the created but not yet listed state, that would be helpful.
It may not be a universal problem, AND I’ve gotten more careful when I create a class.

I only need the feature before it appears on the class appears on the calendar. This probably comes under the category of “Make class creation easier” feature that is listed in the poll.

What would be the point of the review period by the calendar team (both to allow the class and for honorarium purposes) if you could completely change a class minutes before it showed up?

Too many may be worse than none. Allow it as an option for those who want it and on a per event basis?

Good point. The need to do this does not come up often. Maybe just making sure an admin can change it is sufficient.

I do not know how easy this would be to implement, but the ability for an admin to view the event edit page in read-only mode after the event is over or has been canceled would be useful.

Let me try again. When create a class and click submit, then realize one second later that I put wrong information in one of the fields…room, time, date, or ?, I can’t change it. I have to delete the class and start over.

This happens very seldom these days because while I may learn slowly, I do learn. :-). I bet it’s common when people first start teaching And it’s not a show stopper.

1 Like

Re cancelled classes remaining listed

I think it would be useful if there were a way to have it set so that it acts two ways:

1. if a class were cancelled before anyone was enrolled, that it disappear so it doesn’t clutter the list. I know when I’ve created a class, found a critical uneditable mistake soon after creation, I’ve deleted and resubmitted. It’d be good that empty classes just disappear

2. if a class has anyone enrolled, then cancelled, that it remain but show cancelled (much like the beloved “FULL” shows). This way if a class is cancelled near the class date due to instructor illness or life happenings, and the attempts to inform students didn’t reach them all (ie email got junk filtered and remained unseen), if they were to go to the calendar, the class isn’t completely missing. The instructor could even edit the description to add a notes at the top, like “class cancelled due to illness, but I’ve submitted another two weeks from now” etc

This scenario (ghosted listing because class cancelled due to illness) is relevant today, in fact.

If I had signed up for the class linked at the bottom, this would have likely been the annoying sequence for me:

1. assuming email notifications even worked (I don’t think they are right now), I wouldn’t have seen it because my junk filter is set to ruthless and I have to go fishing for things I expect. And I likely wouldn’t have checked email between work and class because I’d be worrying about grabbing dinner and getting there on time, not checking email
  2. I would get off work to head to DMS. Get there. Now what classroom was it? Hm, that’s weird. Not listed. I am positive I had class tonight. Positive. Check personal calendar. Yup. But not on event calendar.
  3. ask around, MAYBE run into someone that knows. MAYBE someone put up a sign. MAYBE remember to check Talk (assuming I’m in the percentage of members that uses it). MAYBE run across that post about it.
  4. well, crap. That was a wasted trip. And yeah, plenty of other things to do, but that wasn’t how I planned my evening, and my actual ongoing project is at home because I thought I’d be in class

It’d be MUCH nicer and less annoying to simply have the class show cancelled this close to the date and I’d be in the habit of confirming it’s still a go before I drove to dms

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/cancelled-inkscape-101-1-30-19/50233

1 Like