Cable Company Practices

Disclaimer: I work for Frontier and have a working understanding of the fiber gear we deploy and how it works, but can’t provide definitive policy guidance on how to deal with ‘left-in-place’ equipment, all of which is the property of Frontier.

TL;DR for dealing with the remainders of a disused installation

I’d suggest removing any PSU/BBU equipment and leaving the ONT. If you must remove the ONT, I’d suggest leaving any slack on the fiber drop coiled up and out of the way or otherwise serviceable. There may be some IR light coming out of the drop if it’s still connected at the hub (they are generally left connected) that’s mildly hazardous if you look right at the end at close distance so I’d cover up the end of the drop somehow.

Longer contemplation of the subject

Frontier (formerly Verizon) FiOS has used a variety of vendors and models of equipment at the subscriber premises. Originally there were 3 elements - power supply unit (PSU), battery backup unit (BBU), Optical Network Terminal (ONT) - all necessary Because Reasons™ the BBU performed critical voltage conversion from the PSU. More recent gear had the PSU and BBU functions integrated into one unit. And the most recent gear tends to omit the BBU altogether, with a +12V aux input if you’re inclined to provide alternative power should mains go down.

The BBU also performed varying functions depending on the make and model. Some would run everything for a period of time then drop to just supplying POTS (phone service). Others would run the whole show until the battery reached the ~40% mark then shut off until the subscriber hit the ‘override’ switch and run everything until the battery was exhausted.

If you don’t have FiOS service any more and you’ve cleared any contractual obligations with Frontier, I don’t see why you can’t remove any lingering BBU and PSU - even if you think you might want FiOS service again. The company would of course like for you to leave any old ONTs intact since that would make for simpler turn-up if you ever subscribe again and will have even stronger feelings about leaving the fiber drop in serviceable condition. But the reality is that new installs are seeing new-architecture ONTs that are comparable to a home broadband router that cost a fraction of what the old pizza box-sized ONTs did, and ‘re-activation’ installs are generally budgeted the same amount of time for the tech doing the inside work as fresh installs. If everything absolutely must go I’d plead to at least leave the fiber drop reasonably intact (coiled up somewhere not kinked, end covered so that any slightly-hazardous-to-the-eye IR light that might be coming out is blocked).

Exterior old-school installation. The box to the left used to contain an ONT - now it’s a slack tray for the fiber drop and jumpers POTS from the ONT inside to the original copper NID between the ONT and the power meter

Washed-out photo of a ‘modern’ interior ONT install. Upper left unit is the PSU. Right unit is a (now-disused) RFoG device that decodes the 1550nm linear video signal and transmits RF for cable TV service. Lower left unit is the ONT itself; the fiber drop (white cable with green connector) comes in from the slack tray outside. I have a UPS powering the ONT so I should see hours of uptime in the event of a power outage.

3 Likes

Can I guess which provider? I’m gonna say AT&T Fiber because we saw that all the time in Richardson.

I’m personally curious where a residential subscriber has the possibility of either Frontier (Verizon) or AT&T given that the overlap between telco’s is roughly zero outside of a handful of apartment/condo properties.

I think technically my apartment is still cabled for frontier, but ATT ran their fiber to everyone a few months before I moved in so afaik we’re all on ATT now.

Multi-tenant properties (MDU for Multi-Dwelling Unit) are interesting in that sometimes they cut quasi-exclusivity deal with a provider that bundle service into the rent (which basically means no other provider will run lines since the take rate will be abysmal) or just set up micro access points on the building and allow providers to install termination equipment there using the existing wiring.

Verizon’s original MDU FiOS deployments were … trrbl. The ONT’s were effectively micro-DSLAMs that were little better than ADSL service. Subsequent deployments ran fiber to each unit ala a typical SFU (Single Family Unit aka standalone house) installation. Future deployments are apt to return to the micro-DSLAM approach using g.fast for those short runs to hit symmetric >100Mb speeds.

It would be … unusual … for two providers to run SFU fiber plant in parallel within a complex and more unusual for the complex to install an ‘open’ fiber plant. I wonder if your building was previously wired for Verizon DSL or their 1st-generation FiOS MDU and the property then invited AT&T to install fiber to each unit.

Coax, I believe, was the alternative to ATTs fiber.

Thanks for the explanation. Just to check ATT wiring is completely separate from Verizon wiring?

in residential cases, with what comes to your home, yes.

You won’t see them using anything shared until you hit certain datacentre/enterprise applications.

1 Like

Assuming you live in a location that truly has both AT&T and Frontier (Verizon) service potential and that there’s no reselling occurring by one over the other party’s physical plant, yes, up until the demarcation point everything should be entirely separate - equipment and wiring. Service providers typically splash their logos and indicate PROPERTY OF [PROVIDER] all over such equipment. Note that on the other side of the demarcation point, your inside wiring, is surely utilized by whatever service you’re presently subscribing to.