Cabinets level, wall is not

I hung new cabinets in our utility room. The cabinet is square, but the wall it not. What’s the best way to fill or cover the gap between the wall and the cabinet? (Without rehanging or modifying the wall…)

Pics?
Are we talking above the cabinet to the ceiling?
To the side(s) of the cabinet?
How much distance are we trying to cover (e.g. if above cabinet, 6" to ceiling would be crown mold; 2.5’ to ceiling demands something else)?

Thanks @jast. These are uppers. The gap is between the side of the cabinet and the wall. The gap fluctuates from 1/4" to 3/4

1 Like

Presuming you are going from the back of the wall to the wall vertically, I would create a filler piece of wood. Trim it to fit. If you have room, you can clamp (filler piece)it flush with the back of the cabinet. Then you can use a compass ( I don’t remember the exact name off the top of my head) to transfer from the wall to the filler piece.

1 Like

What Tim said.
Pic

The site it came from

That makes sense. I’ll share a pic of the gap when I get home. I’m trying to finish up this weekend…

1 Like

Quarter round is an option.

2 Likes

So, I’ve tried tracing the contour onto painters tape, then using a jig saw…I can’t seem to stay on the line. I’m thinking I need to try again, but give it a try on a bandsaw instead?

1 Like

Saw proud of the line then sand up to the line - you’ll have more control sanding.

FWIW, I believe the wider strip on the wall side of the cabinet is designed to be trimmed to fit.

To mark the trim line: find a washer (probably a 1”?) which is wide enough that the center hole stays on the wood when rolled down the left wall along the cabinet. Insert a pencil into the center hole and roll down the wall, transferring the wall profile to the cabinet, then trim proud and sand up to the line. Finally, rehang the cabinet flush with the wall. You could have done this before mounting the cabinets by removing that wood and doing the scribing, etc. before mounting the cabinet.

Since you’ve already mounted the cabinets, I’d consider some painted quarter round instead if it won’t interfere with the doors.

4 Likes

Throw a quarter round on it & call it a day.

7 Likes

@TBJK that would be great, except I’d either have a gap between the quarter round and the wall, or the quarter round will look crooked once I install the doors.

Yeah…rough to do with a jig saw. Taper jig/sled on a table saw?

bondo & paint perhaps?

My great-grand pappy always used to say “Bondo and paint help make you the carpenter you ain’t!”.

It’s weird because he died before Bondo was invented.

1 Like

I am no perfectionist, but if this is a utility room does it really matter if it looks a little off? Trim it and be done. v :slight_smile: v

same here, shove some backer rod in the gap and fill it with caulk, then paint over it

Intentionally make it look crooked and be done with it…

@Jeeves would you suggest I practice this skill on the kitchen cabinets instead? Or figure out how to do it on something less important before moving on to a show piece?

@zacharymarkson, @Ferman that would have been much easier, but these are already finished cabinets. Would have preferred to cut a piece to fit and fill the gap with a thin bead of caulk.

@HankCowdog, @TBJK, @mblatz I had much better luck with the bandsaw. I ended up putting on a 1" x 1/4" piece of trim and called it a day…I’m the only who will notice.

All in all, it was a good exercise. Learning the process of scribing the wall and then trimming the pieces was a good experience…even if I didn’t end up finishing it that way.

3 Likes

Wasn’t an attack, just a simple question based on what has been provided in the thread. Good luck with the kitchen! (I hate hanging cabinets)

Which you answered here :slight_smile:

The version I learned for carpentry is:

Measure to plan,
Cut to length,
Hammer to size,
Fill with plastic wood, and
Paint to cover,