CA Committee Meeting Notes March 7th

In attendance -
@jphelps @missydee1206 @Karen_Kitchen @Kriskat30 @John_Marlow Nicole

SIG reports
Leather - not in attendance
Cosplay - not in attendance
Fibers - going well have a schedule for the next two months, have regular reoccurring classes coming with a variety of media. Good assortment of classes and dates. Ok with supplies but will need small things from time to time. Already thinking of summer. Brian and Jessica are talking about ridged heddle (sp?) loom and inkle looms. Would like to revise the fictionality of the inkle looms in the future @wandrson @Tapper
Sewing - Ashley Steele new member has asked to begin sewing classes at the space, pattern and midnight maker overlock and sewing machine classes coming. Embroidery with Chris will be on calendar soon and Astruid is teaching Approved to have female and male mannequins. Leather sewing machines need to be looked at and see if they can get classes taught.
Told everyone above the cabinets looked trashy - used the black tubs to start making it look more presentable

Latest CA Acquisition
64" paper to the space on Thursday
24" parts are in and with @pandabob
New overlock machine with assorted thread
Mataza purchase was ALMOST paid off via honorariums thanks to members interest in classes and the efforts of Lisa and Mark
Payment kiosk - password (checking with Robert) chain to the wall (asked and denied)
*ask about getting the camera on the cam page (possibly no need for it)
Went over the outcomes of the tribute box/results of envelope system
Education necessary for kiosk how to use - must print out receipt and put name on envelope no charges under $1
Nicole submitted new prices - they are working on the buttons but info is in another screen on pricing

Annex talk
Vote on desk - decided on a thin, simple desk *will order today
Big thanks to all who participated in getting that up and healthy
Rug needed for dust
Decided to make it a food and drink free space - desk size will limit ability to have junk
Clean is the name of the game
Going to buy one table to begin
Standing kiosk over second desk
*Look at making that standing kiosk in the cubby with keyboard drawer
Standing is to run print jobs

CA room
How does the rearrange look? *freaking fab, although not done it’s really nice
Functionality - still tables to be bought for long wall for individual work stations one to be a permanent sewing station *tables to be bought this month - drawers were nice plus the idea of a flexible addition off the tables (drawing explained it)
A true look at human workspace - social and individual stations.
Computer Matrix extreme handed over to Chris , Lisa and @bitta to configure because I know so little. Looks like two computers will live in the CA room.

Future of CA
Options of graphics computers for the annex - look the microsoft surface
Nicole is stepping down
@missydee1206 Devin has volunteered to step up as chair Mark and Karen have both volunteered as sub-chair I will stay on as assisting in whatever role is needed. I am being public with the fact that my control issues will make it hard.
Not entirely sure when it’s an official vote to be honest
Adding hooks/lockers/cubbies for personal storage it was noted that bags, personal items and “stuff” takes up quite a bit of workroom and something to store personal items would be nice *looking into it

Complaints/concerns/voices in the mist
Paintbrushes needed people are throwing dirty paintbrushes in the bin *paintbrushes to purchase, always buy cheap brushes here, foam brushes are eaten by members
Issues with children in the CA room
Nicole will write a bitchy topic via Talk

4 Likes

Thanks for the notes! I’m hoping to visit soon. I do stop in when I am there for Dallas Film Crew stuff, just to say :wave:
Only so many hours & there’s so many amazing arts to do :heart_eyes:

I hope you visit soon as well!

:joy:
You never fail to advocate in just the right way!

What do you think about this one?

3’ x 5’, charcoal grey, “commercial heavy duty mat”, $20. (looks like a waffle weave, very dark grey).

If you think that one is adequate, I could pick it up at Sams and bring it to the Space Friday afternoon.

No item found at your link :crying_cat_face:

Hmmm … it seems to work for me.

Here is the link typed out:

Or, you can go to Samsclub.com and search for product 8684.

Which, interestly enough, also brings up a 2’x 3’ rug of the same design. The larger one will catch more dirt, but the smaller one might fit in the room better. Your thoughts?

Link still didn’t work, but searching the product code did. I like the mat, are we thinking outside the annex door or inside to put it?

I have mixed feelings. Putting it outside catches dirt before it comes into the annex. However, putting it outside also puts it in the way of anyone rolling anything, and it catches ALL the dirt passing by - not just the dirt headed for the Annex.

So, now having thought about it, I think inside the Annex is better. We probably ought to lay an appropriately sized piece of newspaper on the floor in there. I suspect the 3x5 might be too large, even though it will do a much better job. (And the large one is only about $2 more than the small one).

I’ll write that down in the planner and do that and take some pictures tomorrow

1 Like

A suggestion, if it is decided that something is needed in the hallway
Lets try to get some rug samples at the next zero landfill day,

We could have 2 or 3 and rotate them, Places the dirty one out for
rain to wash off,

Links work fine here. Both of 'em. :confused:

It looks like the 2x3 is actually a 2-pack, although it has a $6 shipping charge because it isn’t available in the stores.

So we could theoretically rotate them. Let me measure tonight and we’ll go from there, unless you get to the space ahead of me

Just give me a heads up and I will pay for them and you can pick them up Chris (if you want).

Devin - do you want to be a purchasing agent? If so we need to get that on the bod things to discuss. You don’t need to be one but it helps. And as you saw the other night the oversight is quite inclusive.

Yeah, I think that would be much simpler that coirdinating.

I was at the Space last night. IMO, we need the pair of smaller rugs (mats). I’m reasonably certain the large one won’t work. Do you want me to order it from Sams, or do you want to? @Uglyknees, want to weigh in also?

I’m good with anything you think will help. We will have an issue with dust so a rug is a fantastic idea.

OK, I will take the action to order the rugs and bring them in when they arrive. Should be about $22.

1 Like

I’m approving Chris Marlow reimbursement for rugs for the annex up to $50 from ca @Lampy she is a wonderful steward.

3 Likes