CA Annex - lighting

The other day while playing with some photos I realized the lighting in that room is less than optimal for the screen types and photo editing. Lots and lots of glare. Could be location of the desk, or lighting type. I tried switching off the back light, but realized it’s tied to some lights in the workshop.

Would anyone else consider taking a look at it and offering some ideas? Also, what committees does one go through to encourage a change in task lighting?

I’m happy to learn from your experience. Right now I’m contemplating a large umbrella to cast some shade…

Just some ideas that can be easily done without any electrical work:

A diffuser could be hung below the existing lights to cut glare, reduce the ambient light (can remove a tube or get lower lumen ones), or be opaque and push the light sideways to reflect off the walls.

Alternately, we can add hoods to the screens like we had on the CAD workstations where I worked.

The lighting in the Annex is tied to the Interactive Classroom.

Yep. Was looking at constructing a homemade hood from dark poster board to simulate this:

Figure it’s only good for the fixed monitor, the tablet monitor wouldn’t be very usable with something like that.

Also thought it might make sense to just work in digital media until printing, then after calibrating the printer and monitor, can use a hooded fixed monitor to manage the final tweaks.

Not sure how many of the members have worked with a calibrated arrangement, but it’s tough stuff. Makes me wonder if I shouldn’t just print contact versions in 5 x 7 and if I can live with it, go for it.