BYOR bench antenna damage?

Hi I made this broadcast band filter for my uBitx the other day and saw the sign. I wasn’t able to make the meeting, so I don’t know what was covered there about it. If it’s just a matter of a broken wire or stand off I’d be happy to help go up on the roof and and fix it, or is there any idea when it should be back in service?

The pics that go posted show one side of the twin lead pulled out of the tuner enclosure, along with the seal gromet.

Pity if we didn’t at least seal the hole up. So tuner state unknown, and antenna has a bit of a list.

73’s de K5SLR

Antenna base/pole mount is bent. The pole is straight still, but leaning now and it did some damage to the tuner enclosure. There’s probably water inside.

A crew needs to go up and inspect and see what can be done to repair it, but count me out. I hate ladders and heights.

I am one of the members that fixed the antenna tuner last time. The antenna tuner box (in the picture above) was sealed after we finished. But because of wind damage, the twin lead antenna connector was pulled out of the enclosure when the antenna was pushed about by the wind.

Going on recollection here.
Think we tried to do some kind of strain relief on the ladder feed to the box.
Obviously failed. Guessing wind whipped it around badly.
May want to consider running feed down mast if there’s enough line to move tuner box to ant base.

Used to be able to buy some 300 ohm quick connects… I don’t see any at HRO.

I think we should.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Zareba-5-in-Black-Nail-On-Extender-Insulator-25-Pack-IW5XNB-Z/203416089

Pull the nail out and zip tie that end to the mast. Ladder line goes on the other end, also zip tied.

Lots of folk use 1 twist per 2 feet also, which reduces the coupling a bit.

Thanks, I’ll look forward to it. When is the next meeting?

I have combined the AR SIG w/ the Electronics Committee Mtng. I have the nxt mtng on the Event Cal for 10/11/18 7:30p in Lctr Hl. Agenda tbd.
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/7613
AR SIG needs to hold a series of its own mtngs to decide what antennas/systems/cabling, etc. it wants to do during/after expansion. Get everybody together and work it out.

FYI I was over at the new area last nite and there is some kind of GPS ant on the roof w/ line(s) coming down in the front area. Don’t have any details at this time

3 Likes

I gather that the AC contractor has something markedly better than a chain hoist onsite today…

Ooooooh. We need a GPS locked 10 MHz timing source in the lab.

And of course we need to see how / where they ran the cable.

1 Like

Yeah - 1-2 coax lines w/ connector I can’t remember the type of and 1-2 coax lines w/ bnc conn. No one seemed to know where the bnc lines go.

MUCH, MUCH, better. Unfortunately he’s already gone.

1 Like

Thanks Art, I’ve added reminders to my digital and analog calendars :slight_smile:

I’m basically never available on 2nd Saturday. Won’t be able to make a meeting on Oct 11th.