By Popular Bridgeport Demand

It has been suggested that we buy one of these for the Bridgeport for the Z-Axis.

Alright Machine Shop Committee types, how say you? Cost $39

4 Likes

Neat idea.

Unless it is attached permanently to the cordless drill, and that then chained to the Bridgeport, I fear it will get lost or walk off.

2 Likes

What will happen when they turn the knob all the way to “drill” and crank that thing down as tight as the battery will let it?

To Raymond: Will get HF cordless drill, no chance of over torquing.
To Zack: We can tack the drill jaws into place, rendering useless for other purposes. Would you recommend chain or cable?

3 Likes

Gentleman, as the owner of one of these devices and according to Dave the reason people have been asking him about it, I wanted to chime in on the above points.

1. Abuse of Bridgeport by overcranking

Certainly possible, but not sure a drill will produce enough torque on the z-axis to do much.

1. Loss of device

I suggest that we don’t use this with a keyless chuck. Use a keyed chuck and ‘hide’ the key. That will stop most of the miscreants…

1. Battery powered drill

When lowering the table, this type of tool works fine; however, when raising the table, I have drained a fully charged Ryobi battery before getting the table from a low position to a position able to cut with a small endmill. I suggest we purchase something like this for use with this tool

https://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-DWE1014-8-Inch-0-2800-Drill/dp/B00FI0NQO4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488203972&sr=8-1&keywords=corded+drill+keyed

4 Likes

Another added benefit of this suggestion (drill with a power cord) - assuming there is a power drop near the Bridgeport - is that it’s less likely to walk off. Most people can’t be bothered to use a powered drill unless there is no alternative.

2 Likes

Is there any additional chance of damaging the teeth on the Bridgeport itself?

Like many other things, it looks to be an easy project to create on the lathe and Bridgeport, but at $40, it’s a cheap tool that would be nice to have.

I intend to tack weld it onto drill. That makes it useless for other purposes.

1 Like

Personal opinion: when hand cranking it seems it alwys slips off several times.

I think with a drill you’ll be pushing in and less likely to slip off.

The other reason is now we have lift table for heavy things like rotary table the table is lowered much lower when the vice is stacked on it.

Another option would be a pneumatic racket with torque limiter on it. Airline is already at machine. Again would tack weld it on so it won’t walk.

2 Likes

YES PLEASE! I am tired of having my arm seize up after cranking that table up a whole foot at a time.

1 Like

1:WIll a drill from horror freight be able to apply any torque at all?

1:Ship’s anchor chain for security

1 Like

I would say chain, I am envisioning frayed cables stabbing me, and it doesn’t seem like a good time.

We can try my Horror Freight.

Would prefer a garage sale corded drill that works for a couple of reasons:

1. No one wants to drag it about so it’ll stay put
  2. I’ll tack weld it to drill chuck, so no other use … none that come to mind right now.
2 Likes

Put me down for “less than a week” in the “How long until someone finds another use” pool. :slight_smile:

i have one that you can have - it is “vintage” either B& D or craftsman.

3 Likes

I vote YES! My son and I have been thinking about 3D printing one but this works for me.